If you are experiencing constant abdominal pain which is accompanied by vomiting and nausea, then the chances are there that you are suffering from a bacterial infection in the stomach.
Bacterial gastroenteritis or bacterial infection in the stomach is due to the presence of bacteria in your gut. Commonly termed as food poisoning, the infection is quite common in children and youngsters due to careless eating habits and poor hygiene.
If you are hesitant about employing the chemical treatments and are looking for how to get rid of the bacterial infection in the stomach naturally, then try the effective remedies mentioned below in the article.
What causes bacterial infection in the stomach?
Bacterial infection in the stomach as the name suggests is caused by bacteria that may enter your stomach due to the intake of contaminated food and water. The bacteria known to cause infection in the stomach are:
The above-mentioned bacteria are your answer to what causes bacterial infection in the stomach.
Symptoms of Bacterial Infection in the Stomach
Following are the common symptoms of bacterial infection in the stomach:
- Loss of appetite
- Severe abdominal cramps
- Vomiting and feeling of nausea
- Blood in the stools
Also Know: Home Remedies For Nausea
What are the signs of bacterial infection in your stomach and how do you get it?
Consistent pain in the stomach, nausea, vomiting are the signs of bacterial infection in the stomach. Bacterial infection(1) in the stomach is caused when infection-causing bacteria enters your gut. This happens when you eat or drink contaminated food and water which can be due to several reasons like:
- Incorrect storage at grocery stores that may cause contact with bacteria
- Improper handling or preparation of food in restaurants and kitchens
- Use of contaminated water
- Use of spoilt ingredients and dairy products that have been out of the refrigerator for long
- Eating or preparing food in dirty utensils
- Eating raw fruits and vegetables that have not been washed properly
- Eating raw and uncooked meat and eggs
Is bacterial infection in the stomach contagious?
Yes, the bacterial infection in the stomach is contagious. As it is caused by bacteria, the infection can be easily transmitted from person to another.
If a person carries the infection causing bacteria, then anything touched by him whether food or other people, they are likely to get the bacteria. One can even spread it to his other body parts by touching them with infected hands.
Natural remedies to cure the bacterial infection in the stomach
Stomach infections are common and can happen anytime in any season. Such infections can severely affect the health of a person. While these go away with time, you can accelerate the recovery by employing natural remedies. Following are the natural cures for how to get rid of the bacterial infection(2) in the stomach that you may adopt.
1. How to get rid of the bacterial infection in the stomach by using salt?
Due to vomiting, there is an excessive loss of water from the body that results in dehydration. It is common when one is suffering from a stomach infection. To fight this and maintain the water content in the body one should regularly drink an electrolyte made of salt.
The home-made electrolyte can be much more effective and helps in maintaining the pH level of the digestive tract. Use salt that is high in quality like sea salt or the Himalayan salt for a better result. To make the electrolyte follow the simple procedure.
- Add one teaspoon of salt and two tablespoons of sugar to one liter of water
- Stir the mixture well and drink it several times a day
2. How to cure the bacterial infection in the stomach lining by using Ginger?
Ginger can also be taken to ease the bacterial infection in the stomach lining as it is known to have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory(3), antiviral and anti-oxidant properties.
It not only helps in treating the infection but also helps in reducing symptoms like watery stools, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, and nausea. You can chew fresh ginger root to treat the infection or make a ginger drink to ease the issue.
Also Know: Home Remedies for Stomach Aches and Cramps
- To make the drink add chopped ginger to one and a half cups of water when it starts boiling
- Cover it with a lid and soak the mixture for 10 minutes
- Strain it and add honey
- Also, add a few drops of lemon juice to the mixture
- Drink this mixture two to three times a day
In case you have high BP, then ginger remedy should be avoided.
3. How to get rid of Bacterial Infection in your stomach by using Baking soda?
Baking soda is a natural antacid and helps to cure stomach irritation and other symptoms of bacterial gastroenteritis including vomiting and diarrhea.
- Mix half teaspoon of baking soda with sugar measuring four tablespoons
- Add salt measuring half a teaspoon to one-quarter of the water
- Drink the mixture two to three times daily for some time
It will greatly relieve you from the infection. As baking soda has high sodium content, it should not be consumed by people suffering from high blood pressure.
Also Know: Home Remedies for Hypertension
4. Chamomile is effective in treating bacterial infection in babies stomach
Chamomile is said to be an effective remedy for how to get rid of the bacterial infection in the stomach and helps soothe the symptoms of the infection.
It has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, carminative and analgesic properties that maintain the proper functioning of your digestive system and relieve you from vomiting, abdominal pain, nausea and other stomach ailments.
Read More: Chamomile Tea Benefits
Sipping Chamomile tea can effectively treat the bacterial infection in babies’ stomach. To make the effective remedy at home follow the procedure mentioned below:
- Take fresh chamomile flowers (one tablespoon) or dried chamomile (two tablespoons)
- Add it to hot boiling water in a cup
- Cover the mixture and steep for around 10 minutes
- Strain it and add honey to it
- Drink this mixture two to three times daily for at least three days to cure the infection
You need not worry about how to get rid of the bacterial infection in the stomach as studies have shown that natural treatments to cure the trouble. Bacterial infection in the stomach can be treated effectively by using the above mentioned natural remedies. Besides these, you should drink a lot of water to ease out the infection. If the symptoms of infection like vomiting and abdominal pain do not cease in 3-4 days then you should consult a doctor.