Had you come across this scenario? Let’s suppose you are all decked up for your best friend’s wedding ceremony. Everything has been going well until your nail bangs on that table and cracks. Ouch!
Have you ever experienced broken nails? No one likes the sight of a cracked toenail or a broken fingernail, in their day-to-day life and nor do you. Even more so, when you are heading for an occasion. Not only does it look shabby, but it could also hook onto your own or someone’s dress paving way to a disaster. Not to bite nails anymore, as there are remedies on how to fix a cracked nail.
What causes nails to split?
Cracked nails are usually a result of external factors such as:
- Poor Nail Polish or Nail Polish Remover
- Exposure of nails to harsh chemicals, detergents and cleaning fluids
- Long hours of soaking hands or legs in the water
- Low humidity and dry weather
Some other factors also include physical stress and nutrient deficiency, picking or biting of nails, injury, and using fake nails. However, if you see that you have broken toenails, cracked nail bed or your fingernails have cracks, then you are going wrong in the choice of your products.
How to fix a cracked nail?
With the fashion industry setting its standards sky high, even nails are expected to be perfect. Here are a few simple hacks to fix a cracked nail:
1. Use A Tea Bag
- Cut a piece of the tea bag into an exact size to cover the nail crack
- Clean your nail correctly by removing the nail polish if any
- Apply base nail coat as glue and stick the tea bag piece on it
- Let it dry completely
- Then smoothen the surface of the nail using a buffer
- Apply another base nail coat
- Then you can apply any nail paint of your choice, and you are good to go
2. Lay The Cracked Nails In Silk Wraps
- Clean the nail with a nail cleanser
- Lay the silk wrap on the nail properly
- Gently apply nail coat or glue covering the nail completely
- Dip the nail in nail powder and brush off any excess dust
- Cut away the excess silk wrap around your nail
- File your nail in the desired shape
- Buffer it to get rid of any lumps
You are now an expert on how to fix a cracked nail. Apply the nail paint, and you will feel like nothing ever happened.
3. Apply Polish To Crack Nails
Yes, you can entirely fix it by applying polish to crack nails.
- Clean your nail and apply an excellent quality topcoat
- Brush the topcoat evenly until it looks in sync with the nail
- Allow it to dry and reapply the coat
- Now paint your nails and be ready to flaunt
4. Trim The Nails Altogether
If the damage done to the nail is irreparable by the first two methods, then you can trim the nail altogether. File all your nails and make the edges round. That’s the technique on how to fix a cracked nail by manipulating it.
5. Cut & File Nails When Wet
Cut and file your nails while they are wet. That can get done right after you have a bath and your nails get already exposed to water. At this point, your nails are very soft and can be easily cut and trimmed to the desired shape. Also, this avoids cracks from worsening.
6. Moisturise Nails With Oils
Wondering how to fix a cracked nail by moisturizing? Well, dry nails are very fragile and vulnerable to cracks. If you have cracked nails, moisturize them daily before going to bed with good oils or creams. The composition of our nails has keratin and collagen. So look for a good moisturizer that contains these nutrients. Apply it for a few days, and you will see the difference. It is a long-term solution on how to fix a cracked nail and nail dystrophy.
Precautions to be taken
Most of the times, there are external reasons for cracked nails. Hence we can easily take precautions to prevent it as listed here:
1. Stay away from chemicals
The detergents and dishwashing liquids have compounds that are hazardous and harsh on your nails. No, we are not asking you to leave your dishes unwashed. But you can always invest in good quality soaps.
2. Wear Gloves
You might be working in a factory where you get continuously exposed to hazardous chemicals. Also at times, while cleaning the house, you must be using soaps, liquids or compounds that have a harsh reaction on your nails and hands. In that case, you can consider wearing either plastic or rubber gloves.
3. Do not use acetone
Avoid using nail paint remover frequently. Do not use plain acetone. Also, invest in a good nail paint remover that does not contain acetone. Limit the use of nail paint remover to maximum once in two weeks.
To sum up, we need to remember that nail care starts with us and it has got more to do with external factors. Use excellent quality products for your nails – right from the dishwashing soap that you use to the buffer and the nail paint that makes your nails stand out. Never pick on or bite your nails and always treat them gently.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to repair nails that are very brittle and break continuously?
If your nails break continuously, you need to take biotin supplements. Biotin is a vitamin that supports the growing and strengthening of nails.you can also consider applying nail hardener. It is a long-term natural technique on how to fix a split nail.
2. Can a person have cracks in nails due to any internal reasons?
Yes. One of the reasons could be lack of vitamins in the diet. However, there are diseases in which people tend to have cracked nails such as thyroid, liver, kidney diseases, and skin cancer.
3. Is it safe to use fake nails?
Fake nails are acrylic nails that are readily available in the market. You need to clean your nails, apply nail coat and stick the acrylic nails properly. This option for sure work as a quick fix. However, they can result in further damage such as peeling, cracking and breaking of the nail.