Do you feel a throbbing pain in your throat? You must be suffering from tonsillitis, or infection of the tonsils. Bacterial infection of the tonsils results in tonsillitis. It usually occurs in children but can affect adults as well.
Almost every child in the US has suffered or suffers from tonsillitis. Try out the home remedies for tonsillitis for an excellent cure. Find out right here.
Home Remedies for Tonsillitis
Taking honey can provide relief from the soreness of the throat and strep infection. The antiviral properties of honey inhibit microbial action in the throat.
Honey is anti-inflammatory, which helps in alleviating irritation and inflammation in the throat. It boosts body immunity and soothes the digestive system. Drinking warm water mixed with honey can reduce the pain of tonsillitis.
- You can drink a glass of honey and lemon water thrice a day. Lemon water is rich in antioxidants and has immune-boosting properties which get enhanced with the addition of honey.
- Add a teaspoon of powdered cinnamon to a tablespoon of honey and take it twice a day every day.
- Add a tablespoon of honey to a cup of ginger tea and drink it twice daily for the treatment.
- Two tablespoons of organic honey on a daily basis can cure tonsillitis.
Ginger is the best home remedy for swollen tonsils. It consists of antioxidant and antimicrobial ingredients like gingeroids, gingerol, and shogaol, which aid in the alleviation of swelling and pain in the tonsils.
The antimicrobial properties of ginger juice helps in the inhibition of viral and bacterial action in the throat.
- You can drink warm ginger tea twice a day for the natural treatment of the inflammation of tonsils.
- The juice of an inch-sized piece of ginger on a daily basis is sufficient for the cure.
[Read: Ginger for a Sore throat]
3. Salt Water
Gargling with salt water helps in the expulsion of mucus(1) from the chest.
Saltwater kills the bacteria by osmosis and cures the pain, inflammation, and infection in no time.
The warmth of saltwater soothes the throat and reduces the swelling and pain of the lymph nodes.
- You can try saltwater gargle for tonsillitis treatment at home.
- Add half a tablespoon of salt to a glass of warm water and stir gently to prepare a solution. Gargle for thirty seconds twice a day for the cure.
You can gargle with a glass of water twice daily for the cure of tonsillitis.
[Read: Herbs for Sore Throat]
4. Slippery Elm
Slippery elm is one of the most effective swollen tonsils home remedies. The mucilaginous nature of slippery elm extract creates a smooth coating along the throat.
The slippery properties cure the soreness and soothe the irritation and inflammation of the lymph nodes.
- Boil a teaspoon of the inner bark extract of slippery elm in a glass of water.
- Strain out the tea and add some honey to it. Drink the concoction with slow sips twice daily for about a week for the cure.
- A teaspoon of slippery elm extract daily is excellent for the treatment of tonsillitis.
Lemon juice is one of the most effective home remedies for tonsillitis(2). It contains vitamin C, which is highly antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory in nature.
Drinking lukewarm lemon water fortifies the immune system, fights tonsil pain, and alleviates the other symptoms as well.
- Extract fresh mine juice to a glass of plain and warm water.
- Add some honey to the lemon water and drink it thrice a day for the cure of tonsillitis.
- Use fresh and ripe lemons to prepare the home remedies or tonsil infection.
[Read: Foods for Tonsillitis]
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
The potent antimicrobial and antibacterial properties of apple cider vinegar fight against bacterial action and cure infection.
The acidic nature of apple cider vinegar prevents the growth and spread of bacteria, thereby curing the pain and swelling.
- Drinking apple cider vinegar solution helps in the elimination of excess mucus as well.
- You can drink diluted apple cider vinegar for tonsillitis treatment at home.
- Add a tablespoon each of apple cider vinegar and honey to a cup of lukewarm water and stir gently.
- Drink the solution thrice in a day to relieve the pain and irritation in the throat.
- You can take three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar for the natural treatment of sore throat.
The anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties of basil aid in the alleviation of infection and inflammation of the tonsils.
Basil leaf contains essential phytochemical compounds that work to accelerate the recovery process by the inhibition of bacterial action.
You can drink three cups of basil leaf tea every day and have a teaspoon of crushed basil leaves with a teaspoon of honey to cure tonsillitis. Here is a simple recipe for preparing basil tea.
- Add 10-12 basil leaves to two cups of water and boil the mixture for about 10-15 minutes. Strain out the tea and add a tablespoon of honey to it.
- Drink the basil tea thrice a day to soothe the pain and heal the infection of the tonsils.
Tonsillitis can be painful, but there is almost no pain in the world that home remedies cannot cure. Try out a combination of the home remedies for tonsillitis to heal the infection and drive out the soreness and other symptoms.
The home remedies are ancient and incredibly effective. Believe it or not, but the healing powers of honey, lemon, apple cider vinegar, ginger, and more, can make you sing like a lark again.
[Read: Magical Benefits Of Basil]
1. How to Deal with Tonsillitis?
Dealing with tonsillitis is a piece of cake now, with an amazing array of effective home remedies. Timely administration of the remedies will cure the infection and make you feel better again.
2. What Are the Different Types of Herbal Teas for Tonsillitis?
Drinking warm herbal tea soothes the throat, cures the pain, and heals the infection of the tonsils. The herbal teas include ginger tea, chamomile tea, licorice tea, peppermint tea, sage tea, and more.
3. Is Ice Helpful in Tonsillitis?
Iced tea helps in numbing the pain in the tonsils by restricting the blood circulation.