Your ears are a vital part of your body as they help you cherish the sweet voice of your parents and near and dear ones. It is through your ears only that you can enjoy the tapping beats of your favorite song or the educational lectures of your teachers. But sometimes due to one or the other reason ear gets infected and begins to pain.
Although it is not a critical situation and makes up for a common problem, can turn into a severe issue if rendered untreated. This article helps you understand the concept of ear infection, its symptoms, and primary causes along with fantastic home remedies for ear infection treatment too!!!
Do You Know What an Ear Infection Is?
An ear infection depicts a situation when a bacteria or virus affect the air-filled space behind the eardrum known as the middle ear or the surface of the ear. Ear infections can be mild as well as severe depending on the level of inflammation in the ear. Ear infections can be acute or chronic. Acute ear infections are more painful but are for a small duration. Chronic ear infections reoccur many times and can cause permanent damage to the eardrum, leading to hearing loss.
As ear infections often clear up on their own by the body’s immune system, pain management is the primary motive of treatment. An adult ear infection is a less occurring problem as compared to middle ear infection in kids.
Types of Ear Infection
There are three main ear infection types. These correspond to the three parts of the ear-inner, middle, and outer.
- Inner ear infection
- Middle ear infection
- Outer ear infection
Now as you know about the ear infection, let us move towards the reasons which lead to such a disease.
- Cold and respiratory problems
- Water retention in the ear
- Cold and cough
There are many symptoms responsible for ear infections. Some of them are:
- Ear pain
- Meningitis- a serious condition
- A sense of heaviness in the ear
- Fluid drainage
- Trouble in hearing
- Severe Pain
- Swollen ear canal
[ Read: How to Treat Ear Infection? ]
Home Remedies for Ear Infection
Several natural and herbal treatments will help you get relief from the pain of ear infections with their magical compounds and oils. Some of them find their place in the article in different headings. You can choose your favorite remedy to prevent ear infection.
Cure 1: Foods
Certain foods are rich in nutrients and minerals that prove beneficial for ear health. Including them in your diet not only helps to enjoy a balanced diet full of fruits and vegetables but they also treat ear infections which cause an earache. Some of these magical foods for home remedies for ear infection are as follows:
Strawberry turns out to be one of the most amazing foods in healing ear infections. These juicy berries are rich in Vitamin C and anti-oxidant properties which fosters optimal ear health by preventing and curing ear infections in the best possible way.
How to use?
Consume strawberries on a daily basis, it is recommended that you have at least 4-5 of these fruits throughout your day.
For all the fish lovers out there, it is good news for you that your favorite fish can help to cure ear infections as well. Fishes contain Omega-3 fats and vitamin D which prevent hearing loss and also keeps the ears in good condition.
How to use?
Consume fish such as salmon, mackerel as these are fatty fish and tend to contain higher amounts of omega fatty acids. Do remember to have at least 200-300 grams at least twice a week for the best results.
3. Dark chocolate
Everybody loves chocolate. Dark chocolate not only satisfy your hunger pants but can also help to protect your ears against infections. It also helps to strengthen the immune system of the body.
How to use?
Eating dark chocolate on a daily basis, perhaps a little bite after your dinner would help you treat your ear infection effectively.
This citrus fruit is rich in vitamins C and E along with potassium. These vitamins boost the immune system which in turn allows the body to fight against ear infections.
How to use?
Consume 2-3 slices on average throughout the day for the best results.
When you were a child, you never liked the taste of broccoli, but your mom consistently insisted on finishing them. It was because she knew that broccoli has incredible health benefits. One of the benefits includes prevention from ear infections as well.
Cure 2: Herbs
Some of the herbs for home remedies for ear infection are:
Echinacea counts as one of the most famous herbs full of health benefits. Apart from its immense capacity to boost the immune system of the body, the plant is also renowned for preventing hearing loss. Its strong antibiotics help in fighting against the viruses and germs that cause inner ear infections.
How to use?
You could find the supplemental form of echinacea in your nearest pharmacy and start using it. For the dosage, it is recommended that you check with your doctor/physician as it is variable and depends on a person.
Apart from its outstanding potential in enhancing the taste of Indian as well as International foods, ginger also boasts of as a magical remedy. Owing to its terrific antibiotics and antiviral effects it acts as a barrier for ear infections. You can slice ginger and use it to garnish your curry, or you can grate it to make a refreshing tea from it.
How to use?
Owing to its terrific antibiotics and antiviral effects it acts as a barrier for ear infections. You can slice ginger and use it to garnish your curry, or you can grate it to make a refreshing tea from it.
Turmeric is one of the most loved herbal ingredients. It has a high content of potassium which plays a vital role in facilitating the healthy functioning of ear rendering it free from infections.
How to use?
You could directly add turmeric into your food for the best results, you could also add it to your tea or any food for treating your infection, additionally, you could also use the supplements that are available as well.
4. Ginkgo Biloba
Ginkgo Herb comes from the leaves of the Ginkgo tree. It is known to knock down ear problems by fostering proper blood circulation to the ear tissues. It also aids the removal of infection-causing germs.
How to use?
You could find the supplemental form of Ginkgo Biloba in your nearest pharmacy and start using it. For the dosage, it is recommended that you check with your doctor/physician as it is variable and depends on a person.
Cure 3: Essential Oils
Essential oils prove wonder in treating ear infections. Some of the best essential oils for home remedies for ear infection include:
1. Tea Tree Oil
Tea Tree oil is rich in antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties which makes it a perfect remedy to ear problems and ear infections. It boasts of a unique antibacterial compound, terpinen-4-ol which helps to kill harmful bacteria inside the ear.
2. Oregano Oil
Ear infections can vanish away with the use of oregano oil which shows unusual antiviral properties. It contains carvacrol which effectively prevents infections inside the ear.
3. Basil Oil
Basil Oil is also an efficient oil to cure ear infections.
How to use?
- A pot
- Four cup water
- Two drops of tea tree oil
- Two drops of frankincense oil
- A towel
- Allow the three cups of water to boil in the pan over a flame
- Boil it till it begins to steam
- After that turn off the fire, and place the pan on a table
- Add the essential oils to the water
- Bend down over the pan and cover your head and face with the towel
- Position your affected ear in a way that the fumes enter your ear
- Perform the task for 10-15 minutes
2. Cotton Ball Remedy
- One drop of tea tree oil
- One drop of chamomile oil
- Half a tsp of olive oil
- Cotton balls
- Heat the olive oil to a level where it is just enough warm to touch
- Mix all the essential oils in the olive oil
- Dip the cotton ball in the heated mixture
- Remember that the cotton ball is not dripping excess oil
- Apply the cotton ball gently on your ear
- Don’t plug it as no oil should enter the ear canal
- Avoid lying down while the cotton ball is there in your ear
3. Relieving Cream
- Four tbsp. shea butter
- Four drops of eucalyptus oil
- Four drops of rosemary oil
- Four drops of peppermint oil
- Four drops of lemon oil
- Double boiler
- Four oz capacity container
- With the help of a double boiler melt the shea butter
- Allow it to cool, once it has melted down
- Now pour in the essential oils in the liquefied butter vessel with the help of the back of a spoon
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator for some time
- Once ready, rub the cream over your Eustachian tubes for about two to three minutes for home remedies for ear infection
4. Roll-on Blend
- Ten drops of frankincense oil
- Five drops of lavender oil
- Three drops of lemon oil
- Three drops of rosemary oil
- Olive oil
- Ten ml roller bottle
- Add the essential oils in the roller bottle. Once done, fill the bottle with olive oil
- Close the cap and shake well
- Roll the bottle on the back and front of the ear to prevent pain behind ear
- Now get a clean wipe cloth, wring it in boiling water
- Fold it into a rectangle and press it over the area where you applied the oil mixture
- Repeat this hot compress method till you get the necessary relief
- Do not drop the essential oils into your ear canal as this can affect your eardrum adversely
- Keep these oils away from the outreach of kids and pets
- If you are allergy prone or are suffering from severe health issues, then avoid the use of essential oils
- Pregnant ladies should consult their doctor before using these oils
- Always make sure that you are using 100% pure essential oils
- Perform patch tests if you are using essential oils for the first time
- Use a carrier oil to dilute these essential oils before applying them on your skin
Cure 4: Home Remedies For Ear Pain
If your earache is not severe and if you know the reason for the pain in ear, then you can try your hands on these astonishingly helpful home remedies for ear infection to relieve your earache.
You can use an electric heating pad or hot pack to reduce the pain and inflammation of the ear infection. Apply this hot pad for twenty minutes over the affected area with soft hands.
In contrast to the hot pad, you can use a cold pack also to get instant relief from ear pain. Wrap ice in a towel or use an ice pack covered with a light cloth. Apply this to the affected area for around fifteen minutes.
3. Ear drops
Ear drops are the most convenient remedy for ear pain. It helps to remove earwax from the ear which is a chief cause of infection and pain in the ear. Consult a doctor before using any ear drop.
A gentle massage around the area where you have pain can help you get instant relief. In a downward motion apply pressure on the backside of the ear and down the neck. Continue the process as this will help to drain excess fluid content from the ear.
5. Reduce the use of dairy products
Dairy products foster mucus formation which in turn increases congestion and worsening ear infection. So avoid consuming dairy products if you have an ear infection.
Cure 5: Natural Supplements
A significant cause of chronic ear infections is a damaged gut microbiome. It is necessary for the human body to sustain a certain level of healthy bacteria in the gut so that the immune system of the body works correctly. Use of probiotics ensures to maintain that required level of good bacteria in the body and thus prevent ear infections. Probiotics are age specific and should be taken only after proper discussion with a doctor.
2. Nasal irrigation
Nasal irrigation is very useful in preventing ear infections. It helps to keep the nasal passages clear and also facilitates to open Eustachian tubes which are essential for proper drainage of fluids in the ear.
Some popular Conventional Methods
To help prevent an infection in the ear, you can follow these essential tips on home remedies for ear infection:
- Make sure that your ears are clean. You can wash them and dab with cotton to dry them quickly so that water doesn’t go inside
- Avoid smoking
- Keep a check on your allergies by taking all the medications correctly
- Keep your hands clean. Use a hand sanitizer when away from home
- Try to avoid coming in contact with people who have upper respiratory problems
- Make sure that your vaccination schedule is up to date
[ Read: Tea Tree Oil For Ear Infections ]
Precautions and Side Effects
- Usually, natural treatments will not have any side effect on your body but if your body shows up any adverse effect restrain the use of these treatments immediately
- Be sure about the amount or quantity or herbs which you are taking as an excess of anything can prove fatal for you
- Always use best quality herbs for 100% results
- Follow all the instructions thoroughly as natural treatments require a strict and punctual attitude
Ear Infection is a common problem which most of us face at some point of time in our life. Ear pain because of wax collection and water retention is the main driving force behind these infections. If you also happen to be a victim of ear infection, then don’t worry!!!!
The home remedies for an ear infection(1) given in this article will allow you to get relief from your throbbing ear pain and come out with ultimate happiness and satisfaction. Now don’t worry if you get water in your ear, or get nausea or dizziness in your ear as these remedies will get you out of it without any side effects.
1. Do ear infections go away on their own?
This depends on the fact where the infection has started, most of these infections do go away on their own, it is a well-established fact that at least 80% of infections go away without antibiotics.
2. What happens if you don’t treat an ear infection?
They could lead to serious infections such as mastoiditis, hearing loss, perforation of the eardrum, meningitis, facial nerve paralysis and etc.
3. How do you clean an infected ear?
To clean an infected ear, you would need to hold a moist warm face cloth against the infected ear. You could also gently wash the outer ear with soap and use a cloth to remove any discharge.