What is gout?
Gout is a condition in which there are several and recurrent attacks of swelling, pain, tenderness, and redness in the joints of the body. It is a combination of conditions in the body which combinedly form a disease. You can feel the sensation in the feet at the joint of the big toe. The pain attack of gout occurs frequently and suddenly. The feeling makes the toe feel on fire. The joint which gets affected becomes red and swollen. The symptoms of the condition may come and go; however, you can prevent and lower the effects of the problem of gout. It is a sophisticated form of arthritis and is curable to a greater extent with the help of essential oils for gout.
Causes of Gout:
- Deposition of uric acid in the bodyj
- Uric acid-rich diet
- Kidney dysfunction
- Certain medications
- Medical conditions
- Men encounter the disease more
- Physical trauma
- Lead exposure
- Other health problems
Symptoms of Gout:
- Intense pain in the joints
- Lingering discomfort
- A problem in the movement of the affected area
- Sudden pain attacks
- Hotness in the affected joint
Type of Gout:
- Pseudo Gout
- Tophaceous Gout
Essential Oils for Gout:
Essential oils provide cures and treatments for a lot of problems by treating them naturally without medication. Essential oils are plant extracts that have a long history in acting as a fold medicine for almost all ailments.
Essential oils for gout help in reducing the redness and inflammation in the affected area. They act as a pain-relief formula and help reduce the intensity of the attacks of pain felt in the joints area. They render warmth and improve the blood circulation which further releases inflammation and minimize the effect of gout on the joints.
What are the essential oils that are good for gout?
- Black pepper oil
- Coconut oil
- CBD oil
- Castor oil
- Lemon oil
- Peppermint oil
- Birch bud essential oil
- Rosemary essential oil
- Lemongrass oil
- Wintergreen oil
Ways to Use Essential Oils for Gout:
1. How to cure gout black pepper oil?
Black pepper oil is a natural remedy for getting rid of gout. It promotes better blood circulation and soothes the nerve endings that cause pain in the joint areas. It helps to get rid of the uric acid which deposits in the affected part.
It reduces muscular pain and the other discomforts related to the condition of gout including pain and inflammation. It desensitizes the nerve’s inflamed endings and relieves you from the pain of gout arthritis.
[Also Read: How to Treat Gout Naturally]
How to use?
- Put a few drops of black pepper oil on your affected joint
- Massage it for substantial relief
- You can also take a hot towel and add a few drops of oil to it
- Place it on the affected area
Also Read: Home Remedies for Arthritis
2. How to treat gout with coconut oil?
According to a lot of researches, overweight is one of the major causes of painful gout. Coconut oil helps in losing weight and is an excellent replacement for our regular cooking oil.
It reduces the pain and swelling of the gout condition. It has several nutrients which enhance the immunity of the body and help fight illness, painful gout, and overweight. Coconut oil is very mild and is an effective cure amongst other essential oils for gout.
How to use?
- You can apply it on your affected areas with pain and swelling directly
- After application, massage the oil for some time on the same part to get relief from pain
- You can also use this oil as your cooking oil for losing weight
3. How to get relief from gout with CBD oil?
CBD oil or Cannabis oil has potent anti-inflammatory properties. These help in reducing the inflammation of the affected areas or joints. It also has pain relieving properties which help in alleviating pain and other discomforts associated with the disease. This oil has potent pain-suppression properties, and unlike other painkillers, it is not addictive.
How to use?
- Mix a few drops of CBD oil in a carrier oil like coconut oil or jojoba oil
- Apply the blend to your affected joints area
- Massage thoroughly for relief from pain and inflammation
- You can also add a few drops of oil in your cooking oil for ingestion
Recommended Read: Natural remedies For Inflammation and Pain
4. Castor oil for gout pain
Castor oil is a beneficial essential oil for alleviating gout pain. It reduces the gout pain and inflammation. It has anti-inflammatory properties which reduce the swelling of the skin and the joints of the affected area and also eases the pain. It is considered one of the best essential oils for gout pain relief.
How to use?
- Mix a few drops of castor oil with coconut oil
- Stir the contents together
- Apply this blend on your joints
- Add a few drops of castor oil in your diet along with your cooking oil
- Castor oil packs are also available in the market easily
5. Lemon essential oil for gout treatment
Lemon essential oil is an excellent neutralizer. It helps in neutralizing the pH of the body and aids in the elimination of the uric acid crystals which cause pain of gout. It reduces the sudden pains. With less deposition of uric acid crystals in the body, you can quickly feel the lessening of pain in the affected areas. It also helps to cure Pseudo Gout(1).
How to use?
- Apply the oil topically on the affected areas
- If the oil stings, add a few drops of the oil in a carrier oil
- You can also add a few drops of oil in your drinking water
- Consume the water with lemon oil only twice in a day and not more than that
6. Peppermint oil for gout
Peppermint oil is a medicinal plant. It reduces the uric acid and its crystals from the body and treats tender and painful joints. Peppermint oil has a cooling sensation and menthol which provides a minty scent. This property of the peppermint oil helps it to reduce and fight the inflammation and the pain of the gout attack.
How to use?
- Peppermint oil is the main ingredient in a lot of balms which work like a miracle in getting rid of the pain in the affected joints
- You can also rub the ointment on the affected areas and get rid of the pain instantly
7. Birch bud essential oil for uric acid or gout
Birch bud essential oil is an analgesic and has anti-inflammatory properties(2). It eliminates the sharp uric acid crystals which further reduces the pain in the affected joints area. This oil has methyl salicylate. It helps in detoxifying blood which speeds up the healing process of uric acid gout. However, use the oil in moderate quantity, as to not encounter any side effects.
How to use?
- Rub and massage the oil on your affected joints and relieve the pain instantly
- Add a few drops of oil in a glass of water and consume it once daily and not more
8. Gout treatment by rosemary essential oil
Rosemary oil helps with the treatment of gout. It improves blood circulation in the body which stimulates pain. The oil eliminates the uric acid crystals trapped in the body and reduces the effect of the disease. It also helps to block the nociceptors in the joints which signal the shape of the pain. It is a cooling treatment and reduces inflammation in gouty arthritis.
How to use?
- Dilute the oil in an ounce of carrier oil like jojoba, coconut or almond oil
- Apply the blend to your affected joints
- Use the mixture three times each day to get relief and hasten the healing process
Also Read: Health Benefits of Rosemary Tea
9. Lemongrass essential oil for gout problem
Lemongrass essential oil has cooling effects. It is one of the most versatile essential oils for gout. It promotes better blood circulation and is stimulating and rejuvenating. It alleviates the inflammation and swelling of gout and guards it against uric acid and its crystals.
How to use?
- Add a few drops of lemongrass oil to a tub of water
- Along with it, add a tablespoon Epsom salt to it for better and fast results as Epsom salt is also beneficial for the condition
- Dip your affected joints in the water for some time
- If the dip is not possible, you can do the same with a hot towel compress
- The best time to do this is in the evening at bedtime
10. Wintergreen essential oil for gout
Wintergreen essential oil is a well-known remedy for getting rid of gout. It renders warmth to the affected joint areas and relieves pain in the joints. It has a pleasant fragrance and a woody sweetness. It cools and soothes the inflammation in gout and improves the blood circulation in the body.
How to use?
- Products having wintergreen essential oil are readily available in the market, and you can apply them to your affected joints directly
- Add a few drops of oil to a glass of water and consume it each day
Side Effects of Essential Oils for Gout:
Essential oils are highly photosensitive and can cause burns and damage your skin severely if you expose your skin in sunlight after application. The oils can also cause irritation and itching on the surface depending on the skin type or on the majorly sensitive skin. Consumption or ingesting of essential oils can be harmful and cause allergic reactions. Consult a doctor before application and use of essential oils for gout.
Risks of Using Essential Oils for Gout:
The direct application of the essential oils on the skin does not suit everybody and can exaggerate the rashes on the surface. Overly sensitive skin is not able to adopt all the essential oils and may get highly itchy after use. Consume the essential oils directly only after proper prescription.
Precautions While Using Essential Oils for Gout:
Consult your doctor before using any essential oil and these oils may cause reactions to some. Sometimes they can even cause sensitivity hence always go for a patch test before using any essential oil on the skin. Due to the photosensitive properties of essential oils for gout, always keep it away from the sunlight and keep the lid tightly closed all the time.
Other Home Remedies/Natural Remedies for Gout:
- Take ginger daily
- Consume magnesium-rich foods in your diet
- Refuse to smoke
- Get adequate rest
- Drink a lot of fluids
- Add lemon juice in your diet
- Stay hydrated
- Increase your intake of celery or celery seeds
- Consume turmeric as it increases the immunity of your body
- Take salt water every day
- Exercise each day
- Apply ice packs to affected joints
- Take a healthy diet including apples, bananas, Epsom salts, etc.
- Avoid fast food
- Exercise and workout daily
- Walking helps
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Peppermint oil made my skin quite itchy. Why?
Response: Peppermint oil(3) has a cooling effect. Direct application of the oil on the skin might not be the right way to use it; especially on sensitive skin. Your doctor might be able to help you better. Make sure you consult with him before applying any oil on your surface.
2. Can essential oils treat gout entirely?
Response: With the mere application of essential oils, you cannot treat gout. Along with the implementation of essential oils, you may have to change your diet, routine, and habits.
The list mentioned above of the essential oils for gout not only helps to relieve the pain but also aids in the swelling and soreness of the feet. Regular use of them can contribute to a greater extent to sooth the pain. You can use it through a direct application or by using it through a diffuser.
Make yourself healthy with essential oils!