Bronchitis is a condition in which the lining of the bronchial tubes in the lungs which are responsible for carrying air to and from the lungs suffer from inflammation. The people who suffer from a bronchitis cough up thickened mucus which is discolored.
It can be chronic or acute. It may also cause the bronchial tubes to swell and disturb the passage between the nose, mouth and the lungs. Bronchitis reduces the ability to breathe air and carry oxygen into the lungs; also, they become incapable of removing heavy phlegm or mucus from the windpipe. Reduce the problem readily with essential oils for bronchitis.
Essential Oils for Bronchitis:
Numerous problems and ailments get a cure with the help of essential oils naturally. They help to reduce the intake of medication and also enhances its effect. With an ancient history of acting as a fold medicine to cure many ailments, these essential oils are nothing but plant extracts.
Bronchitis is the inflammation of the bronchi which conduct the process of breathing and transport air to and from the lungs. Essential oils for bronchitis help to cure the disease by reducing the inflammation in the lining of the bronchi and thus, reducing the effect of the same and curing it.
[Read: Treat Bronchitis Naturally]
1. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is a natural remedy for getting rid of bronchitis(1). The oil has antibacterial properties which makes it a great alternative to synthetic chemicals and medications. It is a strong disinfectant and antiseptic.
It combats bacteria, microbes, and germs. It kills the viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. The vapors that arise from the oil sooth the air passage and clear the bronchial tubes for better breathing.
How to use?
- Put a few drops of tea tree oil on a handkerchief and place it on your nose and mouth and inhale
- You can also add a few drops in a steam vaporizer or hot water pot and inhale the steam
2. Black Cumin Seed Oil
The black cumin seed oil has powerful antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties(2). It is one of the best essential oils to treat chronic bronchitis. The oil has antioxidants rich content in its compounds. It reduces the inflammation trapped in the bronchial tubes and its linings and gives relief from a persistent cough and mucus.
[Read: Black Seed Oil Benefits]
How to use?
- Add the oil in a steam bowl and inhale with the steam
- You can also diffuse the oil in an oil diffuser and inhale it
- Apply the oil on your nose and chest
5. Oregano Oil
Oregano essential oil is an excellent antioxidant. It reduces the inflammation in the lining of the bronchi. It is an incredible antibiotic and protects the body from various bacteria and viruses.
It has antimicrobial properties which kill the harmful microbes and germs inhibited on the body. It eases the congestion in the chest and eradicates the infection curing viral bronchitis.
How to use?
- Capsules of oregano oil are available in the market
- You can take a pill each day for relief
- Add a few drops of oregano oil in a glass of water and consume it daily for relief
6. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil is an excellent cleanser. It is both anti-inflammatory and antiseptic. It soothes the inflammation of the bronchi and helps to treat acute bronchitis.
Peppermint essential oil is a fantastic antioxidant and removes the disease-causing bacteria and germs from the body and nasal passages. Peppermint oil has a cooling sensation and menthol which provides a minty scent. This property of the peppermint oil helps it to cleanse the tube and clear the nasal airway.
How to use?
- Peppermint oil is the main ingredient in a lot of balms which work like a miracle in getting rid of the mucus in the nasal passages
- You can also rub the ointment on the chest and head along with nose to help reduce the adversity of the blockage due to mucus and phlegm
7. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus oil has potent medicinal properties and an overpowering herbal scent. It has expectorant which has aromatic properties. This oil contains antifungal, antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antiseptic properties.
It is one of the best natural remedies to treat bacterial bronchitis. It reduces inflammation in the passage and addresses the effects related to the condition as well as cold and flu. It makes it simple to expel mucus.
[Read: Eucalyptus Oil for Cough ]
How to use?
- Aromatherapy jewelry of eucalyptus oil is available in the market
- You can wear a necklace or a ring of the same
- Rub the oil on your chest and nose before you go to sleep each night
8. Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary oil helps with the treatment of bronchitis. This potential essential oil is an astringent which contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties that wipe off all the microbes that aggravate the health effects associated with bronchitis. It is a cooling treatment and reduces inflammation in the bronchi.
How to use?
- Dilute the oil in an ounce of carrier oil like jojoba, coconut or almond oil
- Apply the blend on your head, chest, and nose
- Use the mixture three times each day to get relief and hasten the healing process
9. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil has cooling effects. It is one of the most versatile essential oils for bronchitis. It is analgesic, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and an excellent antiseptic. It alleviates the inflammation and swelling of the bronchi and guards it against various microbes and irritants.
How to use?
- Add a few drops of lavender oil to your daily bathing water
- Along with it, add a tablespoon Epsom salt to it for better and fast results as Epsom salt is also beneficial for the condition
- The best time to do this is in the evening at bedtime
10. Clove Oil
Clove oil is a well-known remedy for getting rid of bronchitis. It has numerous benefits for health. It has antifungal properties and is an excellent antiseptic(3). It cools and soothes the inflammation in the bronchi and improves the respiratory health of the body.
How to use?
- You can apply them to your head, nose, and chest
- Diffuse a few drops of clove oil in an oil diffuser
- Add a few drops of oil to a glass of water and consume it each day
The essential oils are highly photosensitive and can also sensitize the skin of your body. If you have a history of skin allergy or infection, then do consult your doctor before deciding on which essential oil for bronchitis is the best for you. It may cause an allergy on your skin or the body due to its application or ingestion.
The direct application of the essential oils for bronchitis on the skin does not suit everybody and can exaggerate the rashes on the surface. Overly sensitive skin is not able to adopt all the essential oils and may get highly itchy after use. Consume the essential oils directly only after proper prescription.
Before using any essential oil on your skin and body, consult your doctor as he might be able to guide you better. Before applying an essential oil to your surface, take a patch test on the back of your hand as the oil might cause allergy and irritation to your body. The lid of the bottles of the oil must remain close.
1. Clove Oil Made My Skin Quite Itchily. Why?
Clove oil has a cooling effect. Direct application of the oil on the skin might not be the right way to use it; especially on sensitive skin. Your doctor might be able to help you better. Make sure you consult with him before applying any oil on your surface.
2. Can Essential Oils Treat Bronchitis Entirely?
Bronchitis of acute nature can be treated entirely with essential oils. If the bronchitis is of chronic quality, medication is vital along with essential oils. However, regular use of essential oil might reduce the risk of it coming back and combat the problem.
Difficulty in breathing is not a normal phenomenon hence should be treated efficiently. Nothing else can be a better cure for you than the soothing aromatherapy of the essential oils for bronchitis. Use them in an appropriate dose as directed by a physician to attain desired results. Make yourself healthy with essential oils