Cornelian cherry is known through several names like Cornelian cherry dogwood, European Cornel, and its scientific name being Cornus Officinalis. It comes from ‘cornu,’ a Latin word meaning horn that is in resemblance to the density, strength, and looks of the wood. The plant usually grows to a height of 12 meters.
This plant grows in forests and mountain slopes and suits every kind of soil, be it sandy or clay soils. It has been used as a crop in ancient Greece for almost 7000 years. There are several advantages to consuming this fruit in various methods.
Cornelian Cherry Nutritional Facts
Every 250 ml of cornelian cherry juice consists of
- Cholesterol- 0 mg
- Sodium- 13 mg
- Calories- 152
- Fiber- 0 mg
- Fat- 0 mg
- Protein- 1g
- Sugar- 27 gm
- Potassium- 530 mg
- Carbohydrates- 37 g
Cornelian Cherry Health Benefits That You Must Know
- It helps to treat dysentery(1) and diarrhea. It has high tannin content and has a robust astringent action in treating dysentery. Eating the fruit limits the release of fluid and makes for the first step towards recovery from diarrhea.
- It promotes kidney health. It has diuretic properties that ease out water retention in the body. It helps to produce urine and helps in the proper functioning of the kidney, and reduces blood pressure.
- It has incredible antiviral and antioxidant properties. They offer protection against the damage caused by free radicals in the body. It prevents the body from chronic diseases and boosts immunity.
- It is hepato-protective, and regular consumption improves liver health and functioning.
- It has high mineral content and helps to restore nutrients in the body. It is rich in potassium, calcium, copper, iron, manganese. Having a tonic made out of cornelian cherry(2) helps in recovery from diarrhea.
- Consuming the fruit of Cornelian without the seed is used in the treatment of fever, arthritis, and other ailments.
- The flowers of this plant are used to treat pain in knees, back, and even treat menstrual pain.
- The fruits are anti-bacterial and inhibit the growth of Bacillus dysenteries and Staphylococcus.
- The fruits of this plant have antihistamine agents, and if consumed regularly, you can reap the benefits out of it.
- The fruits and flowers of this Cherry plant help in detoxifying your body.
[Read: Benefits of Tart Cherry Juice]
Try these Cornelian Cherry Recipes for its benefits.
1. Cornelian cherry for yellow fever
Cornelian cherry bark, water
- Take one glass of water and put to boil.
- Add the inner bark of Cornelian Cherries to it for 20 minutes. Once the decoction is ready, cool it and drink twice daily every day.
2. Cornelian Cherry Marmalade for Immunity
- 1 ½ kilo this cherry
- 8 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of water
- ¼ tsp citric acid
- First, wash the cornelian cherries and boil them in a big pot.
- Add 2 cups of water and boil for 20 minutes until they become soft and mushy.
- Allow it to cool and smash them.
- Add 8 cups of white sugar, and the puree to the big pot and cook.
- Once it starts to boil, it should be ready. It takes about 7 minutes. There should be pink foam once it starts boiling, removes using a spoon.
- Add ¼ tbs citric acid and turn it off in a minute. Add it to a jar while hot.
[Read: Essential Oils for Immunity]
3. Cornelian Cherry Juice for Diarrhea
5 kg of cornelian cherry, 5 cups of sugar, 6 lt water.
- Wash the cherries and remove the stalks.
- Take a deep pan and combine the cherries with water. Cook until they pop and break down.
- Use cheesecloth and drain the cornelian cherries and take the cherry juice to a pan.
- Next, add sugar until it dissolves. Scoop it out into jars and seal it tight. Store it away from sunlight.
[Read: Cherry Juice for Sleep]
If you experience any symptoms of dizziness, drowsiness, hypotension, or headache after consuming it, you must stop using it immediately.
Cornelian Cherry is used in culinary purposes and can be consumed raw or cooked. The anti-bacterial, antiviral, antifungal, anti-tumor properties make it credible enough to be given a shot towards leading a healthy life. Use it to make an alcoholic beverage, or use it as a snack; the choice is yours.
1. Can You Eat This Cherry?
Yes. It is safe to be eaten raw. You can also use it in specific recipes depending upon your needs.
2. What Is Cornelian Cherry Good For?
This cherry is most effective in treating dysentery. Consuming the juice helps in treating the symptoms of dysentery and provides relief.