Cocoa butter for stretch marks has been proven to improve skin health. Many skincare products contain cocoa butter as the main constituent. It helps to alleviate dry skin and enhances its elasticity. Cocoa butter contains Vitamins A, E, and stearic acid. Additionally, cocoa also contains antioxidants in the form of polyphenols. These polyphenols have several benefits for the skin, such as preventing inflammation and sun protection(1).
All of these properties help in skin healing. This healing, in turn, makes it an excellent remedy for stretch marks. Cocoa butter can heal stretch marks by seeping into the skin up to the dermis layer. This property enables it to retain even more moisture. Similarly, cocoa butter is also helpful in keeping your skin nourished and hydrated. The fatty acids in Cocoa butter form a protective layer on the surface and reduce moisture escaping.
How to Use Cocoa Butter for Stretch Marks
Cocoa butter, due to its moisture-retaining and elasticity maintaining properties, is an excellent remedy for removing stretch marks from the body. Cocoa butter is available in a variety of creams and lotions. One of the methods of doing this treatment is using cocoa buttercreams for stretch marks.
1. Cocoa Butter Massage
- Choose a suitable cream according to your doctor’s recommendation.
- Wash your body with a gentle body wash and hot water. Some products need to be applied on soft skin, so they require you to soak your affected area in water for an hour or so.
- Now pat dry it with a soft towel or cloth.
- Take a quarter-sized amount of cocoa butter and massage it on your stretch marks slowly.
- To make sure it gets adequately applied on all your affected skin, continue to massage the cream into skin for approximately 1 minute.
- Let it seep into your skin for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cover the treated area with a cloth piece to help retain the moisture.
[Also Read: Get Rid of Stretch Marks Naturally]
2. Cocoa Butter and Aloe Vera for Stretch Marks
- Take aloe vera gel, cocoa butter, and vitamin E oil in equal amounts.
- Put them in a container and mix them.
- Process this mixture in a food processor to avoid the chunks of aloe vera.
- Apply it to your skin gently and rub until it is appropriately applied to your skin.
- Let it dry for an hour.
- Now rinse it with fresh water.
3. Cocoa Butter with Shea Butter for Stretch Marks
- Melt some cocoa butter, Shea butter, and coconut oil in a pan until they are thoroughly mixed.
- Pour this mixture in a container and let it cool.
- Refrigerate until it starts to solidify in an hour.
- Take it out and blend it until a creamy mixture is formed.
- Now apply it to all your stretch marks and let it get absorbed for some time.
- Cover with a towel to keep your skin moisturized.
[Also Read: Get Rid of Stretch Marks on Butt]
If your condition persists or worsens, seek immediate medical attention.
Cocoa butter is a beneficial product for skin health. It can help in healing stretch marks and heal scars, but there is a downside to its use. It is usually bracketed in skincare products, and as such you do not get cocoa butter in its pure form. They contain other formulations that may contain irritants or allergens. These formulations can lead to the worsening of your skin problems.
If you are using cocoa butter lotion for stretch marks, It is advised by dermatologists to use pure cocoa butter stick for skincare instead of other variants available. Several studies also suggest that cocoa butter can have an anti-estrogenic effect causing hormonal disturbances in females. (2)
Cocoa butter is an excellent remedy for any skin problems. It helps to heal scars, stretch marks, and allergic conditions. It is distinguishing feature is that it seeps into the dermis layer of skin and retains moisture. If applied topically, it creates a protective layer on the skin, protecting it from sunburns. Likewise, it’s polyphenols act as anti-inflammatory agents reducing any soreness on the surface. Vitamin A, E, and stearic acid that help alleviate dry skin. All of these factors enable it to heal stretch marks up to a remarkable extent.
[Also Read: Essential Oils for Stretch Marks]
However, if you are using a cocoa buttercream for stretch marks, the formulations present in the cream might not turn out the best for your skin. These added chemicals have been found to cause allergic reactions, anaphylaxis, and general skin irritation. So, you must consult your dermatologist before starting to use cocoa butter for pregnancy stretch marks.
1. How does cocoa butter help to reduce stretch marks?
Cocoa butter seeps into the middle layer of skin and retains water to keep skin hydrated. It also creates a protective layer on skin protecting its elasticity. Both these factors enable it to heal stretch marks up to a remarkable extent.
2. Can cocoa butter be used in pregnancy?
Cocoa butter can be used in pregnancy to prevent the formation of stretch marks. However, some studies suggest that it has anti-estrogenic effects that can cause hormonal imbalance. This imbalance, in turn, causes problems in the pregnancy. So, you need to consult your doctor about the cocoa butter product you are using.
3. Are there any harmful effects of cocoa butter on the skin?
Cocoa butter is considered to be a very skin-friendly product that heals a lot of skin problems. However, the cocoa butter products we use aren’t pure and contain other chemicals that must be avoided. Most of these creams, in fact, have very little cocoa butter in them.