Does CBD reduce inflammation? When inflammation occurs, free radicals increase in your body. This situation is known as oxidative stress. Oxidative stress can result in damage to body proteins, including DNA. CBD oil reduces such free radicals in the body. As a result, the adverse effects of inflammation are curbed. At the same time, oxidative stress is an essential trigger for more inflammations.
Thus, CBD oil curbs the chances of increased inflammation by reducing oxidative stress. As such, it is both a preventative and curative treatment. CBD oil also reduces sebum production, which is linked to causing inflammation.
CBD inhibits the production of COX-2. It is the enzyme that produces inflammatory prostaglandins. Similarly, CBD oil can reduce the production of tumor necrosis factor, which causes inflammation. It increases the production of antioxidants and curbs the inflammatory molecule. These inflammatory molecules are produced in response to the PPARy receptor, which CBD oil inhibits. The cannabinoid receptors in CBD oil can be active in reducing inflammation. (1)
Did You Know!
How to Use CBD oil for inflammation
There are multiple ways to use CBD oil for inflammation treatment. Although over the counter CBD oil is available, it can be produced at home too. For this purpose, the following method can be used.
- CBD oil can be extracted from both hemp and marijuana. However, it is recommended to use hemp as it contains a high concentration of CBD. Additionally, hemp has a deficient level of addictive THC.
- You need any carrier oil of your choice. It is excellent to use olive oil or coconut oil as these can boost the anti-inflammatory properties of CBD. Take at least 16 ounces of any oil that you choose.
- You need 1 ounce of hemp flower. These can be legally bought at many pharmacies. You may find these at a local greenhouse too. Finely grind this flower. You may use a grinder for this purpose. If a blender is not available, you may chop the bulb with a knife. Smaller pieces help to extract most CBD.
- Hemp needs to be decarboxylated. For this purpose, you may heat the hemp. Place the finely ground cloth on a baking sheet and bake it at 225-degree Fahrenheit. Let the hemp bake for almost an hour. After heating, the cloth shall turn lightly brown and slightly crispy.
- Mix the carrier oil with the hemp. You may use a double broiler of the crockpot for this purpose. Heat the mixture at a lower heat. You may place simmering water underneath the mixture in a double broiler. Let this extraction continue for two to three hours. Now move on to the next step once the oil has turned brownish-green in color.
- Pour the mixture on the cheesecloth. You may use any other filter of your choice. Squeeze as much oil as you can from the hemp. Remove the cloth and cool the fuel for the longevity of use.
- You may transfer the oil to a dropper bottle for easy application. The oil can be used as a body lotion at inflamed places.
- You may change the combination of oil and hemp flowers to find the best mixture for you.
- The oil may also be consumed orally in the form of seasoning for salads. Oral intake allows the oil to fight release antioxidants that can reduce inflammation from the inside. These anti-inflammatory properties can reduce multiple skin diseases(2).
However, it must be noted that CBD oil may not be safe for everyone to use. It may cause severe skin irritation in some patients. At the same time, it may aggravate any other medical illness that you might have. Similarly, CBD oil is still illegal in some areas.
Over-the-counter CBD oil may have varying levels of CBD extracts and purity. An impure CBD oil can be dangerous for your health. It is recommended that you must consult your physician and discuss the regular use of CBD oil before starting treatment.
CBD oil provides patients with an effective home-made remedy to treat inflammation. It is full of natural extracts that reduce the chances of any side effects. Moreover, it can prevent the recurrence of inflammation; At the same time, the direct application can reduce inflammation-related pain in several patients, including those who have cancer. As a result, CBD provides an effective inflammation management remedy to a plethora of patients.
1. What is the best CBD oil for inflammation?
It is best to extract oil yourself at home to reduce the chances of any artificial compounds being used. Home-extracted CBD oil is also very pure. Otherwise, you may opt for extra virgin CBD oil.
2. What is the recommended daily intake of CBD oil?
You are recommended to start with on 5-10 mg intake twice a day. If you do not experience any adverse symptoms, you may increase the absorption. Additionally, your physician may guide you on the best intake for you.
3. Can CBD oil be addictive?
The addictive component of marijuana and hemp, THC, is in minimal amounts in CBD oil. As a result, CBD oil is not addictive.