Nepeta cataria is the scientific name of the Catnip plant. The other names of the Catnip plant are – Catmint and Catswort. If you have been suffering from some stressful physical and mental conditions lately, then Catnip tea is one of the best choices for you. Catnip tea benefits are countless, and the rich variety of constituents makes it a useful source that provides multiple advantages.
The plant attracts a majority of cats towards it and that’s how the plant gots its name. The number of attracted cats is approx. around two-thirds. Catnip is a perennial plant, and naturally herbaceous plant, that grows about 50 to 100 cm tall. You can recognize the plant just by noticing its significant leaves.
The catnip plant consists of a chemical substance named nepetalactone, and this substance is responsible for attracting cats towards it. The extraction of this substance is helpful and takes place by the steam distillation method.
Tea extracted from the Catnip plant(1) belongs to Europe but later it got imported to the US and other countries across the world. In today’s date, the cultivation of catnip tea takes place in North America, with a massive growth just like a weed.
Top ‘9’ Catnip Tea Benefits
Here are the top ten catnip tea health benefits for you
1. Relieves Stress
Catnip tea is one of the significant stress relievers and can reduce anxiety up to greater extents. It can help you fight with the secondary conditions related to chronic stress.
2. Improves Sleep
It provides a state of calmness to the mind by promoting relaxation and relief from stress and anxiety. It will give you a complete and refreshing rest.
[Read: Herbal Tea for Insomnia]
3. Heals Digestive Problems
The nutrients present in the catnip tea can eradicate issues related to your digestion and can help you out in maintaining a healthy gut.
4. Relieves Pain
The consumption of catnip tea is often on the list of women who suffer from menstrual cramps. It acts as a sedative and provides relief from the aching menstrual cramps(2).
5. Cures Headaches
It is one amongst various effective measures that cure headaches and provides major relief from the troubling aches of chronic migraines.
[Read: Home Remedies for Headache]
6. Accelerates the Healing Process
It helps in stimulating the speed of recovery or healing process, after the occurrence of an injury. It can treat flu, common cold and fever by facilitating the process of sweating.
7. Solves Skin Related Problems
It acts as an insect repellent and can protect the skin from many kinds of insects, such as bugs.
8. Treats Nervous Disorders
The catnip tea helps in opening up the nerves to stimulate their activity and increases their functioning. It provides a lot of relaxation to the people who suffer from nervous disorders.
[Read: Amazing Tea Facts]
9. Eradicates Dandruff from the Scalp
The presence of antiseptic properties helps in the removal of dandruff and irritation from the scalp. You should use a simple mixture of the herb and can wash it off after leaving it for some time.
Catnip Tea – Recipe
The nutrient value of the catnip tea is exceptionally high, and it provides plenty of nutrients that can enhance various metabolisms of the body. The essential nutrients supplied by catnip tea are –
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B
- Vitamin C
The regular consumption is extremely healthy as it furnishes all the requirements of vitamins and minerals of the body. The herbal nature of the tea maintains its organic quality. By consuming it, you can take care of many of your mental and physical issues, such as – stress, anxiety, migraine, insomnia, diarrhea, flatulence and cramps in stomach.
How To Make Catnip Tea
Follow the step by step procedure to prepare a sweet catnip tea at home
- One to two tsp. of catnip leaves (dried) and flowers
- A cup of hot water
- Take an empty container and add one to two teaspoons of dried catnip leaves and flowers in it.
- Pour hot water (one cup) in that container, cover it and leave it for ten to fifteen minutes. Do not boil the water.
- Add lemon and honey to the tea.
You can easily find the dried catnip leaves and flowers in any of the nearby grocery stores. Further, you can also complement your tea with mint or chamomile.
Side Effects and Precautions
There are no significant risks or side effects of consuming catnip tea, but some people with varied conditions might face some. That’s why it is necessary to take care of some essential precautions. The possible side effects and their precautions are –
- It can give you a sense of drowsiness, as it is beneficial for the treatments of insomnia. If you feel drowsiness during the day, then avoid drinking it during the day time.
- Being a diuretic, it can cause frequent urination along with heavy sweating. Avoid drinking catnip tea before going to bed, as it will create more restlessness throughout your sleep.
- Some people suffer from headaches and disturbed digestion after consuming catnip tea. Avoid using it if you experience the same.
- Avoid drinking catnip tea during the time of pregnancy, as it will facilitate contractions of the uterus, which will eventually lead to the premature delivery of the child.
- Women suffering from heavy menstruation and pelvic inflammatory disease or PID should avoid drinking catnip tea, as it will worsen the symptoms.
- If you are about to undergo surgery, you should stop drinking catnip tea several weeks before the date of operation. It is because catnip tea might intensify the aesthetic input and affect the Central Nervous System.
The intake of catnip tea can help you get some beneficial positive effects. It will grant you with a bunch of essential nutrients, that will alter the metabolism of your body positively.
To look upon the significant catnip tea benefits, you can prepare it by just following some simple steps mentioned above. You can now grab the spectacular catnip tea from your nearby health stores and enjoy its herbal taste and benefits.