The juicy, savory and undoubtedly delicious, cantaloupe is one of the favorite summer fruits. Almost everyone loves it for its refreshing taste. But do you know that besides having a good flavor, cantaloupe benefits your health in numerous ways? Learn about the incredible benefits of this fantastic fruit here.
What is Cantaloupe?
Cantaloupe also known as muskmelon, belongs to the Cucurbitaceae family. It is a type of melon which is light yellow or orange and grows on the surface of grounds on trailing vines. Ripe cantaloupe has juicy texture and sweet, tempting aroma. It is one of the prime summer fruits.
The two common varieties of cantaloupe are:
- North American Cantaloupe: It is the common green cantaloupe with succulent green flesh and reticulated skin.
- European Cantaloupe: These cantaloupes have pale green skin which is lightly ribbed.
Cantaloupe abounds in antioxidants which contribute to several cantaloupe benefits. Besides, it is an excellent source of vitamin B6, niacin, potassium, magnesium, and folate. A cup of cantaloupe provides you with high amounts of calcium and iron. It is also a good source of fiber and proteins. Cantaloupe calories in a cup amount to only 53 while cantaloupe carbs are13 g. Vitamins in Cantaloupe(1) like Vitamin A and Vitamin C are found in abundance.
Cantaloupe Benefits For Health
Cantaloupes not only appease your taste buds but are beneficial for your health too. Have a look at some of the significant cantaloupe benefits:
1. Boosts your Immune System
Muskmelons are high on Vitamin C as well as Vitamin A. These are the most vital nutrients that stimulate the production of white blood cells in your body. White blood cells are your body’s natural defense army against foreign organisms. These prevent the accumulation of microbes in your body and effectively fight the infections. Also, vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant which fights free radicals that cause premature aging. Thus eating cantaloupe benefits you in remaining active, healthy and young.
[Read: Special Tips To Boost Immune System ]
2. Benefits your lungs
Cantaloupe benefits smokers whose lungs have got severely damaged due to smoking. Consuming the fruit on a regular basis replenishes Vitamin A in the body which one loses due to excessive smoking or being exposed to second-hand smoke. Thus, eating cantaloupe strengthens the lungs and rejuvenates them.
3. Promotes Cardiovascular Health
Muskmelon is an excellent fruit for the heart. It is rich in potassium which keeps your blood pressure under check. Potassium counterbalances the effect of sodium in the body which can cause hypertension. Further, cantaloupes are rich in adenosine, a compound with blood thinning properties that aid in preventing blood clotting while folate prevents the risk of heart attack. Also, vitamin C present in cantaloupe prevents arteriosclerosis, a condition wherein arteries harden.
4. Benefits Your Digestive System
Cantaloupe is an excellent fruit for those suffering from digestive troubles. The refreshing cantaloupe fruit has a cooling effect on your body. Further, the abundant amount of dietary fiber present in it helps in regulating proper bowel movements. It ensures smooth flow of food along the digestive tract and its adequate absorption.
5. Alleviates Stress
Evading stress in the hectic lifestyle of today is hard. Burdened with so many things, it is likely for one to feel stressed and exhausted. If you too feel stressed out, then grab a cantaloupe immediately. Enjoy a glass of cantaloupe juice and refresh yourself instantaneously. The fruit provides you with a high amount of potassium which helps in normalizing the heartbeat and promotes oxygen supply to the brain, thus relaxing you. It also contains a compound, superoxide dismutase which lowers down the blood pressure level and relaxes the nerves. Cantaloupe benefits you by combating oxidative stress and preventing cellular death.
[Read: Natural Tips To relieve Stress ]
6. Benefits in Weight Loss
If you are trying to lose weight, then cantaloupe is a healthier and delicious option that you must include in your weight loss diet. It is high in fiber and low in calorie-content which keeps you full for longer and promotes weight loss. Fiber takes long to digest hence you do not feel hungry. It helps in preventing untimely hunger pangs that result in overeating. Thus, consuming cantaloupe can keep your weight under check.
[Read: Secret Tips To Lose Weight ]
7. Prevents Skins Aging
Want to look young? Wish your age does not reflect on your skin? Immediately add cantaloupe to your daily diet. It is rich in folic acid which helps in regeneration of skin cells. With new cells taking up the place of dead and damaged ones, your skin remains healthy, supple and glowing. Further, the antioxidant properties of Vitamin C found in cantaloupe help fight free radicals that are a prime cause of skin aging symptoms like wrinkles and pigmentation. In all, cantaloupe aids in keeping your skin youthful and supple.
Cantaloupe can be enjoyed the way you want. Not only the pulp of the fruit but cantaloupe seeds are also great for your health. You can roast them and enjoy their numerous benefits. However, cantaloupe leaves are quite bitter. The fruit can be eaten raw, blended into a juice or enjoyed as a salad. Here are some exciting recipes of cantaloupe.
Bored of the regular lemonade every summer. Try this summer twang, and you are never going back to the lemonade.
What will you Need?
- Two cups of chopped cantaloupe
- Three tablespoons of honey
- Two to three ounces of club soda
- Three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
How to Prepare?
- Add cantaloupe to the blender and puree it.
- To the cantaloupe juice add apple cider vinegar and honey and again blend it.
- Strain the mixture in a bowl
- To a glass add some ice cubes and club soda
- And to it add strained cantaloupe juice
- Your delicious summer drink is ready.
Chilled Cantaloupe Soup
This cantaloupe soup is a healthy and refreshing recipe for luncheons.
What will you Need?
- A cantaloupe (peeled and cubed)
- Two cups of orange juice
- One-fourth teaspoon of cinnamon
- One tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- Fresh mint leaves
How to Prepare?
- Add cantaloupe and half a cup of orange juice to a blender
- Blend them to obtain a mixture of smooth consistency
- Add in lime juice, cinnamon, and remaining orange juice
- Refrigerate the mixture for an hour
- After that serve it in a bowl and garnish with fresh mint leaves.
Cantaloupe and Cucumber Salad
This healthy cantaloupe salad recipe is excellent for health-conscious people.
What will you need?
- A half cantaloupe (peeled and chopped)
- One English hothouse cucumber (peeled and sliced)
- One-fourth cup of champagne vinegar
- Half a cup of olive oil
- One teaspoon of coriander
- One teaspoon of kosher salt
- One-fourth cup of cilantro (chopped)
- One-fourth cup of mint
- Half a cup of roasted pumpkin seeds (unsalted)
- One-fourth teaspoon of powdered black pepper
- One-eighth teaspoon of ground cardamom
- Two Fresno chilies (thinly sliced)
How to Prepare?
- Take a bowl and add to it oil, salt, pepper, vinegar, cardamom and whisk thoroughly
- After that, add cantaloupe, chilies, and cucumber
- Toss all the ingredients and leave it for around 15 minutes
- Then add pumpkin seeds, cilantro, and mint. Mix them all well.
- Add on some sumac.
Side-effects of Cantaloupe
Muskmelons are delicious. On top of it, the numerous cantaloupe benefits make them the favorite of all. No matter how good they are for your health, it is necessary to eat them in moderation. Like every other food, an excess of cantaloupe is also bad for your health. Below listed are some risks of excessive consumption of muskmelons:
- Increase in blood sugar level
- Gastrointestinal troubles
- Rashes may develop in people with cantaloupe allergy.
Cantaloupe is an amazing summer fruit. You can enjoy it in numerous ways. Eating cantaloupe benefits your overall health; hence, you must include it in your diet. No matter you enjoy it as a soup or a salad, it will provide you with adequate nutrition that keeps you hale and hearty.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to Cut a Cantaloupe?
Take a lemon and cut it in half. Scoop out the cantaloupe seeds and after that, cut it into wedges. Take one wedge at a time and remove the skin. After that chop each slice into small cubes.
2. How Can You Tell If a Cantaloupe Is Ripe?
You can identify a rip melon easily without even cutting it. The very first sign of melon to be rip is that it should weigh heavy. Next, you should smell it. If the cantaloupe has a sweet and musky aroma, then it is probably ripe. After that, press your thumb at the bottom of the melon, if there is no lip around the stem, then you have picked up the right melon.
3.When Is Cantaloupe in Season?
Melons are your summer fruits. The season of cantaloupe starts from May and extend through August.