Butterfish is also known as Japanese butterfish, melon seed, pomfret and is found in the Atlantic Ocean, and is the most preferred seafood. This American butterfish has several benefits and minerals that are beneficial otherwise, except when/if you are pregnant.
Fish are known to have some mercury content that is harmful in pregnancy and even while breastfeeding. If you consume during pregnancy, it can lead to brain damage to your unborn child in the womb. This fish is, however, less in mercury and is safer to eat in moderation than other fish.
Butterfish recipes win extra points not only because of the health benefits but also because of its taste, texture and since it is easy-to-cook.
Eating this fish and the Positive Effects it Has on Your Body?
This delicious fish, native to New Zealand, has several health benefits. This butterfish nutrition has several benefits for the body
- It has DHA content that is helpful in the development of a child’s brain growth. The fish oil inside the fish has a positive impact on the neurodevelopmental growth in children.
- Butter or Pomfret fish has omega-three fatty acids that help maintain cardiovascular health. Omega 3 prevents a stroke. They are also helpful in reducing inflammation and increases brain cell functioning.
- This fish has omega-three fatty acids that are rich in linoleate acid. They are also known as Omega 3 acids(1), which control the formation of spots in blood vessels that cause heart diseases.
- Pomfret is also recommended for people who follow a strict diet and a health regime. Butterfish calories don’t interfere with your diet as this fish has no calories and carbohydrates.
- It has great iron content. It helps in producing hemoglobin, which in turn treats anemia.
- An ongoing trend these days is to give supplements to the children. It is better to provide them with natural food to stimulate the nutrients. One way is to provide them with butterfish. It is safe for children and is rich in Vitamin D.
- It is said that this fish can reduce the chances of breast cancer and helps in the growth of competent cells.
- The richness of Vitamin D helps in preventing diseases like osteomalacia. This disease affects and attacks the tissues of the human body. It leads to weak bones and its common in adults. Eating butterfish will reduce the chances of this disease.
- We all need Vitamin D for good hair and skin. Along with consuming butterfish for its richness in Vitamin D, you must also expose yourself to sunlight.
- If you can afford fish every day, you must opt for butterfish. It reduces the chances of dementia, such as Alzheimer’s disease(2).
Ways to Consume Butterfish
Here’s a list of butterfish recipes that promotes a healthy lifestyle and derives the maximum benefits from the fish.
1. Butterfish Recipe to Boost Metabolism
An ideal way to use this fish is to poach them. It is a low carb recipe and a keto-friendly diet.
- Lemon juice
- Some fresh herbs
- Take a saucepan and melt the butter.
- Add shallots, stir, and cook.
- Add the remaining butter and oil.
- Once the butter melts, add fish so that it stays submerged in it.
- Boil the fish in this oil till it gets cooked.
- Reduce and cook for 3 minutes.
You can serve with salad or roasted asparagus.
2. Lemon Butterfish for a Vitamin and Mineral Boost
- 4 good pomfret fish fillets
- Melted butter
- Juice extracted from 1 whole lemon
- Salt, garlic and onion powder
- Pepper powder
- Olive oil
- Chopped basil leaves
- Lemon slices for serving.
- Take out the moisture from the fish fillets by drying with a paper towel.
- Take a bowl and add butter, lemon juice, salt. Mix and keep aside.
- Take another bowl and add salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder. Coat the fish fillets gently on both sides with this.
- Take a large pan and put it on medium heat. Add olive oil, once it starts to sizzle, cook two fish fillets until it turns opaque. Use a fork to check if it is cooked well. Now add the lemon butter sauce that you made to coat it, keeping aside a bit for drizzling on it while serving.
Remove from heat and serve with the remaining lemon butter sauce, basil, and lemon wedges.
3. Grilled Butterfish for Weight Loss
- 1 pomfret fish
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/3 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- Add salt to taste
- Wash the fish and slit them. Marinate in salt and lime juice for 15 minutes. Mix all the spices and coat the fish with them.
- Heat the pan and grill the fish until it gets cooked. Do not forget to oil the fish before adding it to the container for grilling. Cook each side for about 7 minutes and then turn on the other side. Serve with sliced lemon and onions.
This fish is a delicious fish with all the goodness of vitamins and minerals. The protein content in these fish does not contribute to any weight gain, which is why it is popular amongst health-conscious people who are on a diet.
Pomfret fish itself isn’t a fattening food and is low in calories, to reap the benefits, you must always choose ingredients carefully. Butterfish side effects include some symptoms of allergy-like rashes, itchiness in some people. However, It is also not safe to consume when pregnant/breastfeeding.
1. How to Cook the Fish?
You can steam, grill,l or bake the fish with lemon zest, fresh herbs, and some salt for its health benefits. You can also fry them and add some seasoning to turn it into a lip-smacking meal.