What is Blackstrap Molasses?
Curious as it may sound, blackstrap molasses is one of the best whole foods that are incredibly beneficial for health and beauty. But before diving into its rich nutritional composition, let’s take a look at what molasses are and where this decadent beauty originates.
Molasses is a by-product obtained from the processing of cane sugar into edible sugar. It is known by its viscous texture and a rich, sweet flavor. History claims that molasses had originated in the Caribbean and as of today, it gets cultivated in considerable quantities in almost every part of the world that includes the United States, India, Thailand, Brazil, Taiwan, the Philippines and more.
Molasses come in three distinct varieties differentiated by colors that include light molasses, dark molasses, and lastly the super food, the famous blackstrap molasses. It has won the hearts of health freaks with the incredibly nutritious blackstrap molasses benefits owing to its low glycemic index.
In the process of manufacturing of sugar, the raw sugarcane is pounded to extract its juice. It is then boiled in high temperature to prepare the thick cane syrup. Boiling of the syrup leads to the formation of molasses. The third round of boiling gives rise to a thick, black, rich and viscous fluid known as the blackstrap molasses.
Blackstrap Molasses Nutrition Facts
Blackstrap molasses is rich in nutrients. It is a powerhouse of minerals, the most significant of which include the following.
- Manganese: This mineral fights against oxidative stress and catalyzes the synthesis of essential fatty acids in the body.
- Copper: Copper is highly essential for the healthy absorption and assimilation of iron. It helps in the healthy development of bones and tissues.
- Iron: Blackstrap molasses contains iron that is profoundly beneficial for health and needed for the production of hemoglobin and the development of red blood cells.
- Calcium: Calcium is incredibly essential for the development of healthy bones and hard teeth. It supports the functioning of the CNS as well.
Organic blackstrap molasses also contains chromium, sodium, cobalt, and nutrients like carbohydrates, vitamins such as vitamin B-Complex.
Blackstrap Molasses Benefits For Health and Well Being
The rich and extensive nutritional composition of blackstrap molasses makes it one of the most popular superfoods across the globe. Not only is it easily digestible and savory but also vested with a host of blackstrap molasses benefits for health as elucidated below.
1. Blackstrap molasses prevents menstrual cramps
Dear ladies, we have finally got a sweet and healthy way out of the demonic menstrual cramps that come to drive us nuts once in a month. Being rich in iron, a tablespoon of molasses helps to maintain regularity in the menstrual flow and keep menstrual pain at bay(1). The calcium and magnesium present in blackstrap molasses benefits in the prevention of blood clots and aids in the relaxation of the uterine muscle.
Read More: Essential Oils for Menstrual Cramps
2. Blackstrap Molasses for Constipation
It has been revealed by clinical research that blackstrap molasses are great for constipation. Consumption of a glass of hot milk blended with a few tablespoons of blackstrap molasses makes for an effective cure for constipation and irritable bowel syndrome. This variety of molasses is highly beneficial for the natural treatment of stomach problems like bloating, abdominal pain, flatulence, acid reflux, and indigestion(2).
Also Read: Home remedies for Constipation
3. Blackstrap Molasses prevents Cancer
Innumerable testimonials and scientific evidence suggest that blackstrap molasses play a significant role in the prevention of cancer. The rich content of calcium aids in the prevention and treatment of colonic cancer and can even help in the cure of malignant tumors(3).
4. Benefits of Blackstrap Molasses for Hair
It has been revealed by scientific research that blackstrap molasses benefits for hair are incredible. Consumption of blackstrap molasses on a regular basis is incredibly beneficial for the growth of long and healthy hair.
It prevents the shedding of hair, and its rich mineral content keeps the hair healthy and nourished. Blackstrap molasses prevent the graying of hair, strengthen the roots and hair follicles and does away with split ends and dryness of hair.
5. Blackstrap Molasses for healthy Bones and Teeth
The calcium, iron, potassium, copper, manganese, magnesium and several other trace minerals contained in blackstrap molasses benefits aids in the development of strong bones and healthy teeth. Consumption a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses twice a day can increase the mineral density and prevent osteoporosis and osteoarthritis.
6. Blackstrap molasses for healthy cardiovascular functioning
If you are worried about the risks of cardiac attacks, stroke, atherosclerosis and more, then all that you need is a couple of tablespoons of blackstrap molasses whose rich nutritional profile can fight against the clotting of blood, oxidative damage inflicted n blood vessels, low blood pressure and cardiac inflammation and keep the heart healthy and happy(4).
7. Blackstrap Molasses benefits the Weight Loss routine
The zero fiber, zero fat, almost zero calories and incredibly low glucose content of blackstrap molasses makes it a significant and savory part of the otherwise bland and boring weight loss and diet routine. It aids in shedding the extra pounds and staying fit and healthy(5).
8. How to use Blackstrap Molasses for the improvement of Sexual energy?
This information might come as a surprise, but the consumption of blackstrap molasses can amp up your activities. The mineral content of molasses aids in boosting the secretion of sex hormones, improving fertility, enhancing the functioning of the CNS and processing proteins and carbohydrates to pump up the energy levels and libido.
9. Blackstrap Molasses helps to protect from Neuralgia and Rheumatism
Regular consumption of the dark, sweet and healthy blackstrap molasses infuses the body with a good dose of antioxidants that provide protection against oxidative damage and fight against a hundred different inflammatory diseases and infections. It can alleviate joint pain, cure the inflammation of nerves and joints and can accelerate the recovery from neuralgia and rheumatism.
10. Blackstrap molasses helps to fight against blemishes and acne
A tablespoon of blackstrap molasses in a day can help keep acne, scars, dark spots and pimples at bay. The lactic acid contained in it aids with the metabolism of carbohydrates and thus helps in staying fit, energetic and nourished. The efficiency of metabolism enabled by blackstrap molasses keeps the skin healthy and glowing.
Recommended Read: Home Remedies to cure Acne Papules
Blackstrap Molasses Recipes
Elucidated below are a few methods that are easy to make and healthy too. Try them out and make your desserts devoid of sugary guilt.
Blackstrap Molasses Loaf
This recipe makes for a delicious and healthy breakfast.
- Two tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 2.5 cups of flour
- 1 cup of powdered oats
- One teaspoon each of baking powder and baking soda
- ½ a teaspoon of salt
- One egg
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- Three tablespoons of honey
- 1 cup of rich and dark blackstrap molasses
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients in two separate bowls
- Combine them all until the dough feels sticky
- Knead the dough for some time and then use a rolling pin to roll it out
- Bake the dough for about 40-50 minutes in the preheated oven
- Let it cool on the wire shelf
- Slice the loaf and serve warm with butter or cheese
Ginger and Blackstrap Molasses Cake
You don’t need a reason to celebrate with cakes and cookies and with blackstrap molasses the celebration only gets healthier and more fun.
- 2 cups of white flour
- Two tablespoons grated ginger
- ½ a cup of raw honey or a cup of brown sugar
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- a teaspoon each of essence
- cinnamon powder
- baking soda
- baking powder
- 1 cup of hot water to make the cake spongy
- one egg
- Preheat the oven
- Whisk all the wet and dry ingredients together to prepare a batter of medium consistency
- Pour it into a greased baking bowl and bake for about half an hour
- Serve the cake with frosting, icing and fluffy cream
Blackstrap Molasses Side Effects and Precautions
A few generic side effects of consumption of blackstrap molasses include diarrhea, stomach cramps, dizziness, and nausea. As for precautions, avoid the use of blackstrap molasses during the pregnancy and post-pregnancy phase(6).
Blackstrap Molasses vs. Molasses
Blackstrap molasses is highly dense in nutrition as compared to plain molasses. The extraction of blackstrap molasses involves three rounds of boiling of the cane syrup, unlike plain molasses that requires just two stages of boiling. The unsulphured blackstrap molasses is devoid of sulfur and rich in flavor, besides being healthy for consumption.
Blackstrap molasses benefits the whole body. From dealing with minor health concerns like fatigue, dizziness, and headaches to combating severe diseases like cancer, cardiac disorders, and nervous problems, blackstrap molasse is a miraculous superfood that can be taken daily to stay fit, healthy and hearty. Nurture your sweet tooth healthily without gaining even an ounce of weight with the rich and delectable blackstrap molasses.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is blackstrap molasses good for?
Blackstrap molasses is highly essential for the health of body, hair, and skin because of its rich density of nutrients and antioxidants.
2. Is molasses good or bad for you?
Molasses of the blackstrap variety is highly beneficial for health and well being.
3. What does blackstrap molasses taste like?
Blackstrap molasses is a mouthful of rich and decadent sweetness that is healthy as well.
4. Is molasses good in coffee?
Molasses can naturally sweeten and enhance the flavor of coffee.