Physalis is a species native to Mexico. It belongs to Solanaceae- the nightshade family and grows in warm regions of the world. England was the first country to cultivate Golden Berries.
It appears to be very similar to the size of a tomato or orange. Goldenberries are the size of a marble and are 1-2 cm in width. They are also known as ground cherries having a sweet taste similar to pineapple or mango. It is nutrient profile makes it very attractive for consumption. Golden Berry is extremely rich in Vitamin C, and what makes it more appealing is that its stems, roots, and leaves also help in recovery.
You must eat ripe to utilize all its nutrients.
The nutrient profile of physalis makes it very attractive for consumption.
- One hundred forty gms of this fruit or 1 cup contains the following nutrients:-
- Calories- 74
- Carbohydrates- 15.7 gms
- Fibre- 6 gms
- Protein- 2.7 gms
- Fat- 1gm
- Vitamin C- 17% for men and 21% of the RDI for women
- Thiamine– 13% for men and 14% of the RDI for women
- Riboflavin- 5% of the RDI
- Niacin- 25% for men and 28% of the RDI for women
- Vitamin A – 6% for men and 7 % of the RDI for women
- Iron- 8 % of the RDI for women and 18% for men
- Phosphorus- 8% of the RDI
- Goldenberry also contains a very high percentage of beta-carotene, Vitamin K and some amounts of calcium.
[Read: Black Raspberry Considered a ‘Miracle Fruit’]
How Does Physalis Works On Our Body
Let’s get into details about how it works on your body.
Golden Berries have several plant compounds that are known to benefit your body.
- Golden Berries are extremely rich in antioxidants. We need antioxidants in our body to prevent them from free radicals that cause diseases in our body. Goldenberries are rich in phenolic compounds(1) that block the mutation of cancer cells in the body.
- Golden Berry is known to have a compound called withanolides that work as an anti-inflammatory agent in your body. They also protect your body against colon cancer.
- Golden Berry for immunity. If Golden Berry is consumed every day, it can help in strengthening your immunity.
- Golden Berry is rich in Vitamin C. This boosts the body’s immunity and prevents your body against cold, flu, and influenza. Vitamin C is a significant source of building a body’s immunity.
- Golden Berry is rich in vitamin K. It is a fat-soluble vitamin the increases metabolism of bones. Vitamin K is essential for the growth of bones and cartilages.
- Golden Berry is known to have beta-carotene and lutein. These are carotenoids that help in improving eye health and prevent eye diseases.
[Read: Pokeberry Benefits]
How To Use Physalis To Get The Maximum Benefit? (Benefits of Physalis)
These are the Goldenberry recipes recommended to utilize golden berry benefits(2).
1. Physalis or Goldenberry Sauce For Constipation
For the sauce-4 ounces of gooseberry, one small jalapeno, two garlic cloves, roughly chopped cilantro, one onion slice, salt, and pepper.
First, roast jalapenos, onion, garlic, and gooseberries using a rimmed baking sheet at a distance of 4 inches from broiler. Once it is black, which takes about five minutes, you will notice it turns soft. Flip and roast the other side. Let it cool down, and then blend it. You can add some cilantro and chicken stock to make it a coarse puree.
You can add it to shrimps, zucchini, or toppings of your choice for better taste.
2. Physalis or Goldenberry Smoothie For Its Goodness In Antioxidants
Goldenberry and Bananas.
Take equal parts of ripe bananas and physalis (husk removed) and grind them to a smoothie. Serve in a glass.
3. Raw Physalis For Its Richness In Vitamin C
You can remove the husk and eat it raw. OR you can also chop it and add to Greek yogurt and consume. With this, you get the goodness of probiotics and Vitamin C needed for a healthy body.
[Read: Bilberry Benefits for Health]
- If taken unripe, golden berry can become very poisonous.
- Unripe berries are known to have solanine, which is a toxin and can be harmful if consumed that way.
- Unripe golden berries can cause stomach ache, diarrhea, and cramps.
- Ripe berries are apt to be consumed.
- Overeating ripe berries can be very dangerous. Moderation is the key to utilize the benefits of the golden berry.
Make Physalis A Part Of Your Diet
There are several ways to consume this fruit i.e. adding more ingredients to make it more delicious. Commonly used in jams, it can also be used to make desserts and cocktails. These bite-sized fruits are sweet and packed with nutrition. It can be easily substituted for tomatillos, but the flavor is enhanced when eaten raw. Eat it moderate quantities to avoid any side effects.
1. Is Golden Berry Safe When Eaten Raw?
Yes. It is safe provided you eat ripe fruit. Unripe golden berry can cause more damage than good. Otherwise, eating it raw gives you a burst of flavors that’s also nutritive.
2. Can Eating Physalis Strengthen Bones?
Goldenberries improve bone health as they are rich in Vitamin K and contain some amount of calcium.