This hidden gem called Napa cabbage is a green vegetable with its roots in China. It appears to be oval-shaped and has stunning white veining in its light yellow-green ruffled leaves. It has gained its popularity in the world because, health benefits of napa cabbage(1) are looked forward to for utilization in daily lives.
Napa cabbage is a vegetable that is a storehouse of powerful antioxidants and contains phytonutrients like isothiocyanates, lutein, and sulforaphane detoxifies and promotes enzymes. Eating this cabbage keeps away many dangerous diseases and maintains a healthy body.
Shredded Napa Cabbage nutrition for 1 cup is as follows-
- Calories- 20 Kcal
- Vitamin C – 46% RDA
- Vitamin A- 26% RDA
- Fiber- 1g
- Protein- 1g
The cabbage is chewy and low in calories. This is why it helps to lose weight because you can eat a lot while chewing it, keeping the calories low. It has a high water content that helps you stay full and can avoid over-eating.
[Read: Health Benefits of Red Cabbage]
Nutritional Benefits of Napa Cabbage For Your Body
- It is anti-inflammatory. It works efficiently and prevents your body from inflammation attack. It prevents several inflammatory diseases like arthritis and swelling in various parts of your body.
- This cabbage boosts bone health. It is rich in Vitamin K, a vitamin that is very important for the metabolism of bones and coagulation of blood. Napa cabbage also prevents diseases such as Alzheimer’s and lowers the chances of brain damage.
- It is a rich source of calcium which is necessary for growing healthy bones. One hundred gms of Napa cabbage will provide 105 gm of calcium, which is required by the body daily to keep up its calcium levels.
- This cabbage is an excellent source of B complex vitamins. It contains folic acid, vitamin B6, B1, and B5. Vitamin B is essential to prevent shrinking of the brain and promote energy in the body.
- It improves cardiac health, kidney function and keeps the blood in our bodies healthy. This cabbage consists of a substance(2) called sulforaphane that protects the function of cells in the inner layers of arteries. This process helps the free flow of healthy blood in the body and maintains good cardiac health.
- Napa cabbage improves the quality and texture of your skin. Eating it daily promotes the collagen, reduces wrinkles, and leaves you with glowing skin.
Napa Cabbage Recipes That You Must Try
1. Napa Cabbage Salad for Weight Loss
4 cups thinly sliced cabbage, 1 cup diagonally sliced sugar snap peas, 1 cup radish sliced in rounds and then halved, ½ cup onion sliced,1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds.
For the dressing: 1 tsp white vinegar, sugar, 1 tsp soy sauce, ½ tsp garlic, ¼ tsp sesame oil, ½ tsp crushed ginger, ¼ tsp Siracha sauce, 1/3 cup mayonnaise.
- Take a salad bowl and add the cabbage, sugar snap peas, radishes, and onions.
- Use a measuring cup to mix the white vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, garlic and ginger puree, sesame oil, and sriracha sauce.
- Whisk the mayonnaise and coat the ingredients thoroughly.
- Toss the ingredients, add the dressing ingredients, and coat them thoroughly.
- Add the toasted almonds while they are warm and serve immediately.
[Read: Ways Kimchi Can Benefit You!]
2. Napa Soup for Cold
3 tbsp olive oil,1/2 chopped onion, two chopped garlic cloves, 2 cups of water, chicken stock, salt, black pepper, ½ cabbage roughly chopped.
- Take a heavy-bottomed pan and put it on heat. Add olive oil and stir the onions and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add water, chicken stock, salt, and pepper. Once it comes to a boil, add the cabbage.
- Cook until the cabbage is well cooked and then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
3. Stir-fried Napa for Bone Health
2 tbsp olive oil, one sliced Napa cabbage, one sliced onion,1 tsp minced garlic and ginger, 1 tbsp soy sauce and 1 tsp rice vinegar.
- Take a large pan, add olive oil and saute onions, garlic, and ginger over medium heat.
- Next, add the cabbage until it wilts and then adds soy sauce and vinegar. Stir in between.
- Cook for 3 minutes and then drizzle with some sesame oil taking it off the heat. Serve.
- Napa cabbage is not known to cause any side effects, but if you experience abdominal cramps, nausea, or rashes, stop consuming it immediately.
- The cabbage must be thoroughly washed and well- cooked before consumption.
[Read: Benefits of Cabbage Juice]
This is an excellent alternative to medicines in treating and keeping a check on lifestyle diseases. It helps to boost immunity. Your body needs a strong resistance to keep away from chronic diseases, and consuming Napa cabbage is an excellent way to do so. It protects the body from free radicals that cause damage to your body. The glucosinolates convert into isothiocyanates in the body that prevents the body from a cancer attack. The folic present in it improves the DNA and reduces the chances of mutation of cancer cells.
1. Can You Eat Napa Cabbage Raw?
Yes. Once cleaned thoroughly you can add the crunchy cabbage to sandwiches, burgers, or make coleslaw.
2. How to Store Napa Cabbage?
Firstly, wash the leaves, and cut them as required. Store them in a zip lock bag, or airtight container in a refrigerator for a week.