Did you know that Arab traders brought lime trees back from their journey to Asia and introduced them to Egypt and around the 10th century?
Lime contains almost 4 times less vitamin C than lemons?
What Is Lime Essential Good For?
One of the benefits of lime essential oil is its antiseptic properties. It can treat infections and protect against their expansion. When externally used, lime oil can cure diseases of the skin and wounds(1). When used orally, it helps to treat infections of the throat, mouth, colon, intestines, and urinary system.
It is useful in curing sores, gangrene, ulcers, rashes, and carbuncles. This essential oil protects against viral infections, which may cause the common cold, mumps, measles, and pox.
Being an astringent, lime essential oil aids in relieving toothaches, strengthen the grip of gums on teeth, and preserve them from falling out. The final significant benefit of this property is its ability to stop hemorrhaging by contracting blood vessels. The smell of lime oil is mouthwatering and serves as an appetizer. It also activates the discharge of digestive juices into the stomach before you start eating and further increases hunger.
Lime Essential Oil Uses
Its uses include a reduction in anxiety among people undergoing surgery(2). This oil is a bactericide. It can be utilized in the treatment of food poisoning, diarrhea, typhoid, and cholera, all of which are caused by bacteria. It can also cure bacterial infections like those in the colon, stomach, intestines, and urinary tract.
Lime nutrition facts per 100 grams are Calories 30, Total Fat 0.2 g, Sodium 2 mg, Potassium 102 mg, Total Carbohydrate 11 g, Dietary fiber 2.8 g, Sugar 1.7 g, Protein 0.7 g, Vitamin A 1 %, Calcium 3% Iron 3%, and Magnesium 1%.
How to Use Lime Essential Oil?
1. Lime Essential Oil for Body Odor
- 30 drops lime essential oil
- 1 cup of castile soap
- 4 tablespoons of glycerine
- ½ cup of coconut milk
- ¼ cup of organic honey
- Mix all of the ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into a glass bottle with a pumping cap.
- Shake gently before using in the bath or shower to reverse any separation of components.
[Read: Vanilla Essential Oil Benefits]
2. Lime Essential Oil for Suntan
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- 20 drops of lime essential oil
- 1 cup of sugar or coarse salt
- Over low heat, melt the coconut oil until it is liquified.
- Add sugar or salt and stir to combine, but don’t let the sugar melt.
- Add the essential oil and stir it again.
- Store it at room temperature in an airtight vessel, such as a mason jar or cosmetic tub.
- The recipe can be repeated to provide enough for daily use on rough skin.
3. Lime Essential Oil for Bad Breath
- 2 drops of lime essential oil
- 1 drop of peppermint oil
- Ten ounces of distilled water
- In a medium-size bowl, mix everything well.
- Now, drink the solution and swish about half a minute.
- You can do this after brushing in the morning and before going to bed.
[Read: Benefits of Basil Essential Oil]
4. Lime Essential Oil for Dry Skin
- 1 cup of coconut oil
- ¼ cup of olive or avocado oil
- 15 drops lime
- In a large bowl, mix the ingredients with an electric beater.
- Beat the mixture for 3-5 minutes until it is fluffy.
- Store in an airtight vessel in a cold and dark location.
- Apply after bathing or before bed to moisturize the skin.
Limes are very acidic in nature. So it is best if used in moderation. Eating many limes can increase the risk of cavities and erode tooth enamel. Contact with lime peel, followed by exposure to ultraviolet light may lead to dermatitis. Lime peels are considerably more phototoxic than lime pulp.
The lime essential oil has many potent constituents. It has antiseptic and antihemorrhagic potential in it. It can be used to prevent tooth problems. It also proves useful in preventing skin problems like sores and ulcers. Lime essential oil is used for massage, exfoliating scrub, and as a cure for gastric conditions.
Lime finds its use in medicine dating back to the 10th century. There is enough evidence that its use can prevent cholera and typhoid. However, there are some side effects to its excessive usage due to its acidic nature. So make sure to consult your doctor first before taking orally.
[Read: Cedarwood Essential Oil Benefits]
1. What is the difference between Key Lime and lime?
Key limes are smaller in size and contain more seeds than Persian limes. Persian limes have a thick, bright green skin, while key lime skin is thin and yellowish.
2. Is lime essential oil good for a toothache?
Since it’s an astringent, lime essential oil helps treat toothache. Also, tightens the muscles around the mouth and gives you a firm young look.
3. Which carrier does oil blend well with lime essential oil?
Lime essential oil can be blended with any carrier oil, such as jojoba, almond, coconut, olive, castor, etc. Just make sure not to use lime essential oil directly either topically or orally.