Do you have zero tolerance towards spices? Does eating a lot of spicy food burn your tongue? If yes, then consider replacing your regular spice with Aleppo Pepper, and avail the benefits of Aleppo Pepper.
Aleppo Pepper Is is a type of capsicum, specifically less spicy than the standard red chili. Aleppo pepper is a robust spice, that has a brick-red color. It grows in the city of Aleppo, (which is also known as Halab in Arabic) in the northwestern part of Syria, around the southern part of the Turkish border.
The spice is an essential constituent of a variety of cuisines, such as the Mediterranean and the Middle Eastern Cuisines. The flakes of the Aleppo pepper are known as Pul Biber over the turkey.
Moreover, it is also known as Halaby pepper in many regions. Just as capsicum, it adds an authentic Mediterranean flavor and aroma in the dishes. In other words, Aleppo Pepper is a type of Capsicum annum and is closely related to it.
What is Aleppo Pepper?
Aleppo pepper is best known for its mild flavor and incredible texture. You can use it for various purposes. It also serves a significant amount of benefits to the body. Since it is less spicy than the ordinary red chili, it is preferred by many people from around the world as a replacement as a substitute for traditional red chili. Also, it has numerous health benefits that make it even more preferred.
It leaves a sweet fruity taste on your taste buds and is tastier than the regular bell peppers. Besides its incredible taste, it helps in reducing the fatty grease from meat.
Aleppo pepper(1) can provide you with many beneficial properties. It can improve your vision and immune system, helps you fight with the stomach and intestinal disorders and promotes a healthy heart. Substituting it in your regular diet can detoxify your body and can also help in reducing weight.
What is the Nutritional Composition Of Aleppo Pepper?
The nutritional profile of Aleppo Pepper indicates(2) a lot of beneficial elements. Each plays an essential role in promoting the proper metabolism of various systems in the body.
Researchers found that Aleppo pepper consists of minerals and vitamins. These vitamins when absorbed, increase the rate of transportation of oxygen to various parts of the body. The nutritional chart of Aleppo pepper shows –
- Dietary Fiber
- Folic acid
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
The essential dietary benefits of Aleppo pepper are countless. The more you dig in, the more you’ll find about this ingredient, apart from being a juice spice.
Top 10 Health Benefits of Aleppo Pepper
Here are the ten unheard benefits of Aleppo Pepper –
1. It strengthens the immune system
The vitamins in the Aleppo pepper tend to boost the immune system of the body. Especially Vitamin C is more helpful in boosting the immune system.
2. It eases the digestion process
The dietary fiber present in the Aleppo pepper is beneficial in treating the digestive problems. You can prevent constipation by consuming it in required quantities.
3. It improves metabolism
There is a certain amount of production of sweat when we eat something hot. This sweat an active metabolism.
4. It maintains the health of the heart
The antioxidants present in the Aleppo pepper help in generating a good condition of heart, keeping it away from all the ailments and significant diseases.
5. It helps in reducing weight
Since, the pepper is hot, spicy and produces a proper amount of sweat, it can possibly burn a certain number of calories. Hence, it can help in reducing weight.
6. It provides relief from cough and the common cold
It helps in assisting cold, fever and congestion because of cough. The presence of vitamin C makes it easy for an individual to recover fast.
7. It controls the blood sugar level
It maintains the blood sugar level to moderate. Studies show that it is highly beneficial for diabetic patients.
8. It removes toxins from the body
It can detoxify the body and help remove the toxins from the organs.
9. It prevents cancer
The antioxidants and high level of vitamins enable proper functioning of the body against the effect of microbes. Hence, it can prevent cancer.
10. It acts as an effective pain killer
Intake of Aleppo pepper plays a significant role in the release of endorphins from the body. The endorphins regulate the mood and provide relief from pain.
Aleppo Pepper Flavour Facts
Here are some interesting facts(3) about Aleppo pepper, that will amaze you –
- On the Scoville scale, it is clear that Aleppo pepper has a moderate amount of heat, with a level of about 10,000.
- The flavor of this pepper can be related to that of Ancho Chile, with a little bit of salt and oiliness. It also has amounts of fruitiness accompanied by undertones of cumin.
- Aleppo Pepper is also called as Near Eastern Pepper, Halaby Pepper, and Halab Pepper.
Aleppo Pepper Recipes:
Here are two easy recipes to cook Aleppo Pepper dishes –
1. Sour Soup including Aleppo Pepper –
- One-fourth cups of cracked wheat and dried chickpeas
- One cup of dried red lentils
- Four cups of boiling water
- A bunch of Swiss Chard or any other green
- Half cup lemon juice
- Two teaspoons of salt
- Half teaspoons of Aleppo pepper and garlic
- Three tablespoons of finely chopped mint
- Soak the chickpeas overnight.
- Take two and a half cups of water in a saucepan, then add chickpeas and cracked wheat (after rinsing it properly).
- Pour in water in the pan for around 30 minutes, just for a simmer.
- Add other ingredients in the saucepan and stir it until the soup gets thick.
- Serve it warm.
2. Marinated and Fried Catfish with Aleppo pepper –
- One thick fillet of Catfish
- One tablespoon of grated onion
- Half teaspoon of crushed garlic
- Half teaspoon of cumin
- One teaspoon of Aleppo pepper
- One teaspoon salt
- Grated peels of half an orange
- One-fourth teaspoon of Syrian mixed spices
- Half teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- Flour and olive oil
- Marinate the fish with all the ingredients for an hour.
- Take a pan and heat some oil. Dust some flour on both sides of the fish.
- Fry the fish until it gets brown color. Serve hot with a side dish.
Precautionary Measures to be Undertaken While Using Aleppo Pepper:
It is essential to take some safety measures to avoid the side effects of Aleppo Pepper. Though there are hardly any side effects, yet, it is advisable to undertake some precautionary measures.
- To achieve maximum benefits of Aleppo pepper, consume it moderately.
- Overconsumption or excess intake of the pepper can affect the inner lining of the stomach.
- Excess intake of the Aleppo pepper can also cause Heartburn and diarrhea. Include only a selective quantity of this pepper in your diet.
When we talk about the substitute for red chili pepper, or jalapeno or any hot spice, then Aleppo pepper is one of the best substitutes amongst all. It not only provides several health benefits but also has an incredible flavor. You cannot compare the benefits of Aleppo pepper with any other spice, as it serves excellent profits. Try out the DIY recipes and enjoy the fantastic flavors of the dishes.