Bananas are one of the healthiest foods around. Not only is the fruit healthy, the peel that you commonly throw away, is also full of health benefits. If you are facing acne issues, then this is particularly helpful for you. Using banana peel for acne has given results to people suffering from this ailment. That might encourage you to try it out for yourself. But is it that useful or these got lucky? That’s what we are here to find out!
Bananas are native to the Indonesia and Australasian region. People in that part of the world have been using banana peels for treating a range of ailments, including skin issues like acne. Modern scientific research has also backed that claim. So, let us dive a bit deeper and see how using banana peel for acne can help get your beauty back!
Using Banana Peel for Acne – How Does it Help?
Let us start things off by knowing whether using banana peel(1) for acne is worth the effort. Well, banana peel does have a few features that make it helpful for acne.
For starters, a 2015 research paper has shown that banana peel has significant antibacterial properties. This means that banana peel might be useful in eliminating the bacteria P.acnes – which is one of the significant causes of acne.
Another major cause of acne is the excessive production of sebum (oil) by the body. The sebum often clogs the skin pores, and that causes pimples and blackheads. Banana peel contains a right amount of starch, which helps to soak up the excess oil and that keeps acne under check
Studies have also shown that banana peel has excellent anti-oxidant properties. Therefore, banana peel can remove the free radicals which can damage your skin and contribute to the onset of acne.
Using banana peel on the face can also help with acne scars. Research into the composition of banana peels has shown that it contains a healthy amount of magnesium, iron, and calcium. All these compounds have anti-inflammatory properties. So, when you use banana peel for acne, it can help you control the redness and the irritation that comes with acne.
So, using the banana peel on the face might be pretty useful in treating in your acne issues. So, how can you use banana peel for acne? Let us now take a look at some of the ‘recipes’ that you can use.
[Also Read: Natural Treatments for Acne]
Methods to Use Banana Peel for Acne
So, how can you use banana peel for acne treatment? Here are some of the most effective remedies that you can try out.
1. Using a Banana and Lemon Paste
Let’s start with a simple recipe. Here, we are going to use lemon along with the peel. Lemon is also an excellent antibacterial agent, just like the banana peels. Here is how you can make and use the paste:
- Make a paste of a banana peel
- Squeeze the juice of a lemon
- Mix equal parts of the peel and lemon and make a thick paste
- Apply the mixture to the affected areas with the help of a cotton ball.
- Keep it on for a 15 minutes
- Wash it off with warm water
You need to repeat the process at least once every day to get optimum results.
[Also Read: Egg Whites Mask for Acne]
2. Banana Peel and Honey Paste
If you are having troubles with acne scars(2), then you can use this paste. To prepare for this effective way of using banana peel for acne, you need to follow these steps:
- Prepare a paste of the banana peel
- Take 1 tablespoon of it
- Mix half a teaspoon of honey with it
- Keep mixing until you get a smooth paste
- Apply the paste to the affected area and gently massage it in
- Keep it on for 20 minutes
- Wash your waster with water and pat it dry with a clean towel
- If you feel too dry, you can use a non-oily moisturizer
3. Using Banana Peel Directly
If you want to keep things as simple as possible, you can directly use banana peel for acne as well. To do that, follow these simple steps:
- Wash your face with cold water and pat it dry
- Take a banana peel and cut it into small pieces
- Take a piece and rub the inner white part of the peel into the affected area. Keep rubbing it until it gets black
- Once it does, take up another piece and repeat the process
- Leave it overnight
- Wash your face the next morning with cold water
- Repeat the process once every two weeks.
[Also Read: Honey For Acne]
1. How Long Would It Take to Have Any Effect
It would usually take about 2-4 weeks, depending on the method that you are using. It might take a little more than that in some cases.
2. How to Choose the Right Banana?
When you are looking to use banana peel for acne, you need to choose the right bananas. You should always go for the ones which are yellow with brown spots. Don’t go for the ones which have blackened considerably or the ones that are still green and raw.
3. Would Banana Peel Cause Acne?
There is no conclusive evidence that banana peel causes acne. However, there is enough evidence to show that the peels can be beneficial in your fight against acne.
If you are looking for a safe and natural way to treat acne, then using banana peel for acne might be a good option. However, we would suggest that you consult your physician to know whether you might be allergic to banana peels or not. You can even perform a patch test at home to understand how sensitive you are the compounds found in the feel. We hope that you found all the information that you were looking for and hope that by using the banana peel on the face you would be able to get freedom from acne!