You are in the midst of a meeting and you are the speaker, and all of a sudden, you have the uncontrollable urge to urinate. Sometimes, you may even experience a small amount of urine leak. You feel embarrassed and run out of the toilet to relieve yourself. These may be the initial symptoms of Urinary Tract Infection (UTI).
UTI is widespread although women are comparatively more prone to it than men. Men have longer urethra tubes than women. The short urethra tubes of women make it easier for the fungi or bacteria to reach the bladder. Though it is a very irritating situation, you can bring it under control by learning how to use baking soda for UTI.
5 Ways of Using Baking Soda For UTI
- Cranberry juice and baking soda
- Water and baking soda
- Epsom salt and baking soda
- Apple cider vinegar (ACV) and baking soda
- Lemon juice and baking soda
What is UTI?
UTI or urinary tract infection occurs in any part of the urinary system like urethra, urinary bladder, ureters, and kidneys. However, the urethra and the bladder, the lower part of the urinary tract are more likely to be affected by UTI. You can use baking soda for UTI prevention and cure. Before learning how to use baking soda for UTI, you need to know what causes UTI.
What are the causes of UTI?
The most common cause of UTI is the transfer of bacteria that live in rectum and colon to the urethra and the bladder. Some factors that can increase the UTI risk are:
- Sexual intercourse
- Inadequate estrogen levels
Symptoms of UTI?
The most common symptoms of UTI include:
- Uncontrollable urge to urinate
- Pain and burning sensation while urinating
- Pain in lower abdomen and lower back
- Blood in urine
- Dark, cloudy, pungent-smelling urine.
Baking Soda for UTI
At the earliest onset of the above symptoms, you can opt for the below-mentioned remedies made with baking soda for UTI cure. Baking soda gives you the much-needed relief from the pain and discomfort that you feel while urinating. Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate has the properties to make the urine more alkaline and less acidic. The neutralization of acidity in your urine helps to reduce the UTI symptoms and boosts your immunity system to fight the infection causing bacteria. Subsequently, the infection-causing bacteria are prevented from multiplying and spreading to the kidneys. Choosing baking soda for UTI cure and prevention is inexpensive and easy to use treatment with low side-effects.
How can you use Baking Soda for UTI treatment?
Urinary Tract Infection can be cured with the help of baking soda mixed with other natural ingredients that are readily available and incredibly effective. Read the following methods and learn how to use baking soda for UTI treatment.
1. Cranberry juice and baking soda
Drinking a blend of cranberry juice and baking soda is a remarkably good way of using baking soda for cancer.
How to use?
- Mash 2 cups of fresh and ripe cranberries into a juicy pulp
- Blend the cranberry pulp in an electric blender with a little water to obtain a glass of refreshing cranberry juice
- Add a teaspoon of baking soda to the cranberry juice and stir thoroughly so that the baking soda gets completely dissolved
- Drink 3-4 glasses of the cranberry juice mixed with baking soda for UTI natural treatment at home
- Do this twice a day to naturally cure of urinary tract infection
Cranberries contain proanthocyanins which possess powerful antibacterial properties. Drinking cranberry juice stirred with baking soda helps in the inhibition of bacterial action by preventing the bacteria from adhering to the urethral lining. The antibiotic nature of cranberries gets accentuated by the addition of baking soda for UTI cure. Drinking cranberry juice and baking soda solution help in increasing the frequency of urination which is useful for flushing out toxins from the system. The addition of baking soda to the cranberry juice helps in the maintenance of pH balance in the urinary tract and thereby neutralizing the acidic nature of the urine.
Avoid following this remedy if you have a medical history of kidney stones. Do not add excess baking soda as it might trigger digestive disorders.
2. Water and baking soda
Water and baking soda solution help in keeping the urinary tract clean.
How to use?
- Take 2-3 tablespoons of water in a dish and add a teaspoon of baking soda to it to prepare a solution
- Rub your vagina and the opening of the urethra with the mixture of water and baking soda. Rub gently until the slipperiness of the skin slowly disappears
- Do this thrice a day until you get rid of the symptoms of UTI
Benefits of using water and baking soda for UTI
The cleansing nature of pure water gets enhanced by the addition of baking soda. The lukewarm solution of water and baking soda helps to inhibit bacterial action and cure inflammation and infection of the urinary tract. The baking soda helps in the maintenance of pH balance in the urinary tract and thereby neutralizing the acidic nature of the urine. Neutralization of the acidic urine helps in accelerating the recovery process. This home remedy is an impressive solution of baking soda for UTI cure at home.
Conduct a patch test to make sure that your skin is not allergic to baking soda solution. It is recommended to use distilled water for the administration of this home remedy.
3. Epsom salt and baking soda
Soaking the vagina in a mixture of Epsom salt and baking soda helps in cleansing out the urinary tract and in reducing the acidity of urine. This home remedy is a proven way of using baking soda for UTI.
How to use?
- Fill the bathtub with lukewarm water and pour a cup of Epsom salt into it with gentle stirring until the salt gets evenly dissolved
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of baking soda into the bathing water and stir again
- Soak yourself in the water and rinse your private parts with the water
- Bathe in the warm water mixed with baking soda for UTI treatment at home
- Do this once a day to get effective results
Epsom salt exhibits strong cleansing properties that get enhanced by the addition of baking soda. Soaking the vagina in Epsom salt and baking soda water helps in increasing the alkalinity of urine and enables the flushing out of toxins from the urinary tract. The bath quickens the cure of the infection. The addition of baking soda helps in the neutralization of acidic urine thereby accelerating the cure of disease in the urinary tract.
Do not scrub your skin too hard with the Epsom salt water.
4. Apple cider vinegar (ACV) and baking soda
Drinking a decoction of ACV and baking soda helps in increasing the volume and frequency of urination. This home remedy is a fantastic way of using baking soda for UTI.
How to use?
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of raw ACV to a glass of warm water with gentle stirring to prepare a solution
- Add a tablespoon of baking soda to the solution of warm water and ACV
- Drink the concoction at least 20-25 minutes before breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Drink the mixture daily for the cure of UTI
- You can add a teaspoon of organic honey to the solution to sweeten it lightly
Drinking 3-4 glasses of ACV mixed with baking soda throughout the day aids in the natural treatment of urinary tract infection. ACV is rich in acetic acid which exhibits potent anti-inflammatory properties. The addition of baking soda makes the acidic urine alkaline in nature which results in the cure of urinary tract infection. You should try this method of using baking soda for UTI as it is one of the most popular methods to treat the condition.
Do not drink the decoction in excess as that might trigger adverse reactions in the urinary and digestive systems.
[Read: Apple Cider Vinegar for UTI]
5. Lemon juice and baking soda
Drinking an infusion of lemon juice and baking soda assists in the cure of UTI. This home remedy is a fabulous way of using baking soda for UTI.
How to use?
- Slice a lemon in half and squeeze the juice out of it
- Add the freshly extracted lemon juice to a glass of warm water with slight stirring
- Add a tablespoon of baking soda to the solution of warm water and lemon juice
- Drink the decoction on an empty stomach every morning
- Drink the mixture on a daily basis for the cure of UTI
Benefits of using lemon juice and baking soda for UTI
The rich content of vitamin C in lemon juice inhibits bacterial action and cures the urinary infection quickly. Baking soda helps in the natural treatment of urinary tract infection by neutralizing the acidity of the urinary tract.
Are you in doubt that you have a UTI? It is undoubtedly a nuisance affecting your daily life, more so, if it is a recurrent one. However, you have natural home remedies to treat it effectively. Follow through with the home remedies prepared by baking soda for UTI treatment. Drink plenty of water throughout the day and stick to a balanced diet to keep your urinary tract cleansed. Maintain cleanliness and proper hygiene to keep urinary infections at bay.